• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone running 8800 GTX SLI?

Soldato
Whats it like, especially in vista.

I have a bit of money sitting around and am thinking about going for it. See rig below its already a bit of a beast. :D

Is it silly, Is it worth it?

Permabanned
gizmoy2k said:

I have a bit of money sitting around and am thinking about going for it. See rig below its already a bit of a beast. :D

Does your GTX perform the way you would like it to perform?

Do the games you play, are they optimized for a SLI configuration?

Do you play at a uber res?

If you do intend to get another GTX you might want to upgrade your PSU personally.

Associate
I'm tempted too - although as Stickroad says you'll need to factor in a PSU upgrade to the cost as your current PSU will struggle.

I've got a 24" widescreen panel and can run most games at 1920x1200 with everything maxed and still get good frame rates. So for SLI, approx £500 is a lot to pay for summat you don't really need at this stage. Also it's probably worth hanging on now as the next gen Nvidia cards are not that far away (probably).

Of course, on saying that if my wife wasn't doing to slam my head in the fridge door if I joined the GTX SLI club then I'd probably go for it myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Gaming at 1900x1200 on Dell 24", I knew that i would have to do the power supply thing

Kinda border line I suppose, Performance is great just now as sk3lph said, but its still tempting. After some googlingI think i may be waiting to see if DX10 performance improves on single card and drivers, then comes to SLi before i decide

Associate
gizmoy2k said:

ohh my lolz BEAST

Soldato
gizmoy2k said:

he;s uploaded loads of videos running a 8800GTX SLi in vista from DX10 benchmarks to oblivion benchmarks all on a 30" LCD :cool:

Soldato
search 30" super computer, i watched all his vids before buying my gtx's, wanted to be sure it wasnt going to be a mistake

as for my sli gtx's IM IN LOVE, ive never really owned "the best" hardware, always second best, or 3rd for that matter, but with this rig when i first got it, everything was the BEST in the world. and still, even at clock speeds (i dont overclock them, due to using vista now) they are immense!!!!!!!!!!

sli works in vista fine, im not sure about dx10 sli, i tried to play lost planet dx10 sli yesterday before heading out to the pub, and it crashed due to having a driver issue, but i think i sorted that, so i might be able to bench it later

p.s. anyone know how to run a bench in lost planet? like the demo, cos i cant find it

ags

Soldato
OP
Now playing in SLI

Play and benched COH in DX10
Min 17fps
Max 94fps
Avg 47fps

Also noted improved performance in world in conflict :p

wicdx10dp6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Jihad said:
I get like 19 FPS on a single GTX average, that SLi result is horrendous! :eek:
That's bad, what res, AA and settings? I get 27 average on a GTX 1680x1050 in DX10 Vista 32bit with every game option at maximum using 8xAA.

Last edited:
Permabanned
fornowagain said:
That's bad, what res, AA and settings? I get 27 average on a GTX 1680x1050 in DX10 Vista 32bit with every game option at maximum using 8xAA.
Just ran it again with everything maxed @1440x900 16xCSAA (DX10) Vista x64 + 163.11's

Untitled-1-7.jpg

Soldato
OP
Its 1900x1200 4xaa +4xaf on very high

Just ran 1600x1050 and got avg 27fps

I think you have to be fair and say this game is still beta and the drivers are still beta, Hopefully befor this closes we will get another set for drivers and a patch for the game that will help.

I cant be bother going to XP to try it dx9, Havent booted to that partition for about 8 months now

EDIT

Just ran it maxed, on very high, 16 aa and 16af 1900x1200

Avg27
Min19
Max44

I think this proves that the game or drivers are holding back the framerates and not the cards themselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jihad said:
Just ran it again with everything maxed @1440x900 16xCSAA (DX10) Vista x64 + 163.11's

Untitled-1-7.jpg
I was gunna say, anyway that's better (relatively speaking, the game fps are still dire). My single GTX averages 25 at 1680x1050 16xAA/16AF, the AA settings and clocks don't make much difference in the benchmark, something else is limiting it. Fps are much higher in game, 8xAA works well for me.

2007-07-12 16:33:52 - wic
Frames: 26476 - Time: 535795ms - Avg: 49.414 - Min: 16 - Max: 280

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom