Anyone use southern trains?

Associate
What's the bit where it says first class? Cos it can't be the first class section as it's identical to the rest of the train except for lil bits of white cloth over the headrests.

And why do they say at one station the last set of doors won't open as the station has a short platform, yet not only is there always plenty of space, but EVERY morning a random commuter will try and board the train with them? So it can't be that dangerous or anything.

Random innane stuff I know, but hey this is GD!

Soldato
Brighton to Victoria

Bognor Regis - Victoria

Lewes - Victoria

Complimentary drinks are served to First Class customers and on the morning commuter trip BTN-VIC a newspaper is also complimentary (The Times)

Consigliere
And why do they say at one station the last set of doors won't open as the station has a short platform, yet not only is there always plenty of space, but EVERY morning a random commuter will try and board the train with them? So it can't be that dangerous or anything.

^ That has never happened to me...and i live close to a 'short platform'.

Associate
OP
Ahh I see, might be worth it for some people then, I only go 5 stops!

SideWinder said:
^ That has never happened to me...and i live close to a 'short platform'.

it's only on some trains, on the older style ones they open quite happily, on the newer trains (which I usually get) they don't. It isn't a short platform either, it's pretty long!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
seaviewuk said:
Brighton to Victoria

Bognor Regis - Victoria

Lewes - Victoria

Complimentary drinks are served to First Class customers and on the morning commuter trip BTN-VIC a newspaper is also complimentary (The Times)

:eek: really?! They do all that?!

I agree with the OP though.. apart from the headrest covers there really isn't any difference, and if the train is megapacked the guard isn't bothered who sits in there anyway.

BB x

Soldato
No difference? On the Virgin trains each seat has a table, lamp, complimentry food and drink.

At least that's what i think, never been in first class :(

Soldato
I take south eastern (London - Ashford int line) and FGW London to Cardiff. The difference between the first class offerings of each is stupid. As the OP said SE give you a seat with a white headcloth lol. FGW give you a huge seat which is comfortable, more leg space, etc (I think they might even include free wine or something but I'm not sure).

Soldato
yes, I've managed to sit in first class by accident on a south eastern train and not realise till the ticket inspector came along two stops from the destination. There is actually no difference other than the headrest. It's not even seperated from the standard bit.

Virgin first class you get tea and biccies and lunch dinner or breakfast...
somehow I read biccies as babies there*

*Probably the same reason I got on first class

Associate
OP
Zogger said:
yes, I've managed to sit in first class by accident on a south eastern train and not realise till the ticket inspector came along two stops from the destination. There is actually no difference other than the headrest. It's not even seperated from the standard bit.

somehow I read biccies as babies there*

*Probably the same reason I got on first class

yeah same here, i sit there cos it's nearest the door i usually get on. don't see how anyone can complain anyway.

Associate
I think the First Class compartments are "declassified" on all trains that run from Redhill/Close to london. A Southern employee told me this when I got the train back around xmas this year.

Soldato
Southern between:
Worthing/Burgess Hill (on the Littlehampton/Victoria service)
Worthing/Brighton.

The only difference I can see about the 1st class is that a) there's more chance of getting a seat, b) it's separated from the hoi-polloi so is probably quieter.

However I don't see the point because a) most people get onto my train at Hove so I always get a seat, and b) I have an iPod and the ability to totally ignore my surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom