Anyone used a Travel Currency card before?

Soldato
Going to Ibiza in a few weeks and we are thinking of loading up a Travel visa/mastercard instead of taking a wad of Euros. Has anyone used one and what one would you recommend to get? We will obviously be taking some cash with us but wanting to not carry it all around or keep in the hotel safe. We would use it at restaurants, bars and possibly excursions limiting the amount we carry with us. We would also withdraw from ATMs when we run short so if possible a fee free card would be good. Any advice on what to do?

Associate
I have a Travelex supercard which is just linked my uk debit card and fools that into thinking its a uk transaction, currency exchange is done at the mastercard rate. You can flick which card you link it with through the app and you don't need a credit check to get it. Used to be even better in the trial when you could get cash out for free but has the advantage over a prepaid card in that you don't have to decide how much you wil need .

Don
I use a Caxton card at times... If I need more money I just jump on the app on my phone, load the card and can use it immediately again.

I had loads of trouble with Caxton, ridiculously low ATM limits, ATMs refusing it and some of worst customer service I have seen anywhere

Caporegime
I use a Caxton card at times... If I need more money I just jump on the app on my phone, load the card and can use it immediately again.

I don't see any advantage there you can do that with Revolut only the rate is better than with Caxton

Associate
Revolut is a pre paid card of sorts it is probably the best rates you'll get tbh...

Yeah, definitely get Revolut. It's like a virtual bank account and you can transfer funds into it by bank transfer, debit/credit card, and Android(/Apple?) Pay. It works a treat and transactions appear immediately. (Just don't use it for hotel authorisations because your money will be blocked, or tipping in the States because they swipe twice creating a temporary hold which appears like a double charge until the original amount is released a few days later.)

Revolut also has a free withdrawal amount of £200 per month, and then there's just a 2% fee on anything over that, but the card is so good and easy-to-use that taking out large amounts of cash just seems totally unnecessary.

Soldato
I have a Travelex supercard which is just linked my uk debit card and fools that into thinking its a uk transaction, currency exchange is done at the mastercard rate. You can flick which card you link it with through the app and you don't need a credit check to get it. Used to be even better in the trial when you could get cash out for free but has the advantage over a prepaid card in that you don't have to decide how much you wil need .

Pointless getting one of those now.

Back
Top Bottom