Anyone used real stone for a patio?

Soldato
I'm choosing slabs and Indian sandstone looks nice, but at 22mm thick is this liable to crack? Patio will be at the far end of the garden, no cars on it, not a thoroughfare.

I've spoken to friends who have tried saving a few Bob by getting dyed cast concrete slabs and then regretted it afterwards.

Any comments welcome.

Soldato
20-25mm is standard for Indian stone. It is laid on a full mortar bed and isn't liable to crack no. Go for a hard sandstone, stay away from the soft ones like mint, rainbow, teak etc..

Permabanned
I always put a foundation of concrete. I know it sounds nuts but actually compared to the cost of the stone, it's really just a bit time consuming rather than expensive. It's a pleasure to work with and really does stop the stones shifting or cracking.

Soldato
I always put a foundation of concrete. I know it sounds nuts but actually compared to the cost of the stone, it's really just a bit time consuming rather than expensive. It's a pleasure to work with and really does stop the stones shifting or cracking.

You still need a sub base though or the concrete will sink. The full mortar bed is like concrete anyway.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone. With regards to drainage, it's 20m2 (7m X 3m) at the far end of the garden, I was intending to put a French drain in front of it with a little strip of decorative gravel at the top

Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom