Anyone using an HTPC in 2020?

Soldato
I do have a HTPC, but its for streaming content from few discs I have and primarily gaming.

Most typical apps, I will use straight off the TV which is enough (Amazon, NowTV, Netflix and Disney +)

Soldato
yep, running with a sat card and mediaportal front end, i've yet to come across anything that can match its capability's, its not just a htpc though as it acts as a nas/vm host for other bits and pieces.
I do use a now tv stick for streaming services though. i've found it far better supported than the windows/smart-tv apps.

Soldato
Shield Pro 2019 using Kodi/Plex and a NAS for local content. Apps on the Shield for streaming services. FireTV sticks in the bedrooms.

Associate
Used to have one, but retired it recently, got fed up with constant updates, needing to upgrade etc and additional boxes under the TV along with the extra wires, clutter and dust
Switched to using the Xbox one - Kodi for playing older local server content , Amazon, netflix etc.
That along with Sky meets all my needs.
Would have been nice to have a one box solution that does all the above in a HTPC that was easy to manage / maintain, but never found it

Soldato
I retired mine early this year after using it for I don't know how long. Probably 12 or 13 years and 2 sets of internals.

I replaced it with an OSMC Vero 4K+. Streaming services are taken care of by the TV itself.

My media is still sitting on an Unraid server, as it has done for a decade or more.

Soldato
I use a decent laptop as a htpc. Just plug in and go/use. Have several pc's, tablets and phones so laptop isn't used for much else. Yes it's luxury but thats what I like. Options . I do also own a 4k roku, Amazon 4k stick. I rarely use the TVs smart features.

Soldato
I've always used a Rasperry Pi with OpenElec/LibreElec for many years.
I now use a android s912 3GB ram box with CoreElec flashed to internal.

Soldato
I was having this discussion with a forum member offline the other day, I truly can't see a real need for a full htpc in the living room anymore unless you also want to triple A game with it as well. Streaming movies from a network or internet source is just so easily done with a tv stick or android box its just total overkill. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Soldato
yes ... isn't (windows) laptop hdmi facility in the living room, a must, if you want to
- access iplayer downloads .. their tv app is a bit rubbish
- browsing internet on a decent laptop screen and moving any media stuff to the (extended) tv screen - casting's a bit laborious
- access music streaming services (eg tidal) with full keyboard to find stuff

would be nice to have the (laptop) horsepower to run 4k madvr, for upscaling, noise reduction, hdr eotf curve adjustment - but I suspect you need a serious server/desktop to do that.

Soldato
I have an HTPC, mainly for watching content using madVR. I like that madVR allows for 3D LUTs, so both the TV and HTPC are properly calibrated. madVR also has phenomenal upscaling, really good for watching older content on 4k screens. I still use the Netflix and Amazon Video apps on the TV, but the HTPC gets the most use.

would be nice to have the (laptop) horsepower to run 4k madvr, for upscaling, noise reduction, hdr eotf curve adjustment - but I suspect you need a serious server/desktop to do that.

Our HTPC just has a G4560, 8GB ram and a GTX 1060 6GB. It does very well with madVR processing.

Soldato
It's a modern thin and light. I don't sit in front of the tv 24/7 so the laptop has other abilites other than sitting next to the tv via a hdmi lead.
It's more the having to put it in place, connect it up, and set it up that sounds rather less luxurious than having something dedicated, in place, and ready to go. But as I say, I am probably missing something.

Soldato
It's more the having to put it in place, connect it up, and set it up that sounds rather less luxurious than having something dedicated, in place, and ready to go. But as I say, I am probably missing something.
Not missing anything. Absolutely a media box like a roku, fire TV, Nvidia shield TV or even the hideous Apple TV box are nice compact viable options to a htpc. I use all of them (not the Apple TV) but a htpc just has more features I require. Choice is yours. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom