Anyone using an OLED TV as a monitor?

Soldato
I know its stupid but I'm strongly contempalting getting an OLED TV for gaming. Any thoughts on it? With the new Gsync implimentation, surely the LG 55 C9 looks like a decent option.

If it supports VRR 1440p/144hz, do you think it can support 4k/120hz when Nvidia release their new GPUs or it is just a waiting game?

Soldato
Yup, should do... but will be late next year before we see new GPUs, and by then the C9 will be cheaper, and likely new models out. If you need now though, it'll still give you VRR at 60Hz 4K.

As a 'monitor' though? Not on your desk surely? 55" really demands some distance, because at 81 PPI you really don't want to be sat at a desk with it.

Soldato
OP
Yup, should do... but will be late next year before we see new GPUs, and by then the C9 will be cheaper, and likely new models out. If you need now though, it'll still give you VRR at 60Hz 4K.

As a 'monitor' though? Not on your desk surely? 55" really demands some distance, because at 81 PPI you really don't want to be sat at a desk with it.

yeah i've rethought that idea. now thinking of a 65incher... although then the question comes of..

65 inch oled vs 75 inch FALD LCD

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It will 100% support 120hz at 4K once the 3000 series is out.

Until recently I was under the impression that the PS5 would be out in Q1 2020, but it looks like it may be as late as Q3. I might either wait for the LG C10 in that case or bag a cheap C9 when they are on clearance.

It is the 65 inch ones that usually get the biggest discounts, might even go for that, but I am concerned that it may look ugly on my chimney breast as it would be sticking out of the sides. Also there is the danger that some clumsy family members might whack into it from the back as we have a bookcase next to it we use. I am usually a calm person and keep my cool, but I could see myself losing my **** at that. I already have to bight my tongue when people come around and eat all nonchalant dropping food and crumbs constantly all over the floor. 55” might be better for my health as that pretty much fits perfect.

Soldato
Have had a 55” OLED for a few years now and it is amazing. I have a 55” E8 at the minute which I love. Has never given me burn issues but then again it gets used with a wide variety of content, films, tv, games etc.

55” is plenty enough for my usage which is about 10ft away. On a desk though I would not recommend it. Nor would I recommend one as a monitor only though due to the burn risk.

I’ve had many monitors and TVs and none can touch the picture quality. I’ve had QLED which is good for bright scenes but dark scenes doesn't come close.

Hdr gaming looks amazing. 4k 60hz in general looks amazing in my opinion on it.

Soldato
linus aluded to something new coming into the OLED space for PCs in the last WAN show but wasnt alowed to divulge any details.

I'm not sure what info Linus would have that wouldn't be already known... unless it's SOOOO far off that it doesn't impact us for the foreseeable future anyway. It's been known for a while that LG have the 48" OLED due next year, but outside of that, nothing smaller is on the cards that I'm aware of, and I find it hard to believe if anything were remotely imminent, somehow Linus would know before anyone else. Panel production road-maps tend to be known well ahead of time, and even then it takes forever for the actual monitors to appear. Besides, for DAILY PC usage, 12+ hours a day, I don't see the OLED burn-in issue not reeling its ugly head for many users.

Soldato
OP
linus aluded to something new coming into the OLED space for PCs in the last WAN show but wasnt alowed to divulge any details.
Tbh even if we get an oled monitor... it’s going to be at least 3,000 quid given how expensive the fald ones are. I feel that for pc gamers there simply is no hope in the monitor game.

The only manufacturer who seems to cut the costs and not over price is Samsung and I don’t see why they’d be rushing to get one out given their va quantum dot is imo the best screen tech in the monitor game outside of fald.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Tbh even if we get an oled monitor... it’s going to be at least 3,000 quid given how expensive the fald ones are. I feel that for pc gamers there simply is no hope in the monitor game.

The only manufacturer who seems to cut the costs and not over price is Samsung and I don’t see why they’d be rushing to get one out given their va quantum dot is imo the best screen tech in the monitor game outside of fald.
Yeah. Monitor prices have gone crazy. Used to think £1000 was madness, but now it is double triple that. Sod that.

Soldato

But with fald you don't you suffer from halo/auras round bright objects over a dark background.

I miss my old Sony CRT, weighed a ton, kicked out some serious heat but the picture was gorgeous.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But with fald you don't you suffer from halo/auras round bright objects over a dark background.

I miss my old Sony CRT, weighed a ton, kicked out some serious heat but the picture was gorgeous.

I hate the fald halo effect and the backlight banding on random pans. :(

Associate
I don't think I could recommend an OLED TV for a monitor for the sole reason of burn-in/image retention. There's a lot of material on the net describing these sets suffering from this when used with static images, of which desktops are at least in part.

I suppose you could mitigate it with an aggressive screensaver and, with the LG sets at least, the automatic image offset feature. But honestly I'd suggest against such a TV if PC use is your #1 use case.

Associate
Almost all my media consumption (tv/films ect) comes through my pc which is connected to my 65 inch Lg c7 - unless i am watching via its built in netflix or amazon viewer.

Works fine for me and is on for hours every day although i am not a big game player. Got to appreciate the HDR it does though.
Not yet noticed any burn, sure it will do it eventually but i am not concerned.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Almost all my media consumption (tv/films ect) comes through my pc which is connected to my 65 inch Lg c7 - unless i am watching via its built in netflix or amazon viewer.

Works fine for me and is on for hours every day although i am not a big game player. Got to appreciate the HDR it does though.
Basically the same experience I have with my Plasma until recently (use a Vero for media now). No burn in after 5+ years. People getting burn in are either silly or unlucky and end up with a bad panel.

Soldato

Same here. I suppose you can do little things to help mitigate burn such as auto-hiding the taskbar and I use 'wallpaper engine' so don't have a static background.

Soldato
Same here. I suppose you can do little things to help mitigate burn such as auto-hiding the taskbar and I use 'wallpaper engine' so don't have a static background.

I don't recall seeing any incidents of burn-in from a regular desktop, or even task-bar for that matter. No one is sat staring at a static desktop wallpaper all day, and as you point out, auto hiding the task-bar is no-brainer (and something which many people do anyway). This isn't what's likely to cause burn-in. It's epic long (5+ hours) daily gaming sessions for weeks/months on end in the SAME game with bright HUDS on screen for that entire duration... and not many people will do that. The bigger issue is working for long hours every day with fixed windows on the screen that cannot be moved... editing software, design etc. And loads of people use PC monitors in this way, myself included. This is where OLED becomes unsuitable for PC use. Nevermind the minimum 55" size which is obviously a massive barrier for the time being anyway. I highly doubt there are many people using a 55" OLED for work... i.e 16+ hours a day doing the above mentioned tasks. When and if (and it's a BIG if) OLEDs ever get down to the circa 30" size though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see manufacturer's issue warnings against excessive work use.

Last edited:
Associate
All sound points regarding the burn-in. I also use a PC for my media playback and I make a point to turn the TV off or have a screensaver on if I leave it for any length of time. I just feel bad recommending a TV if, years down the line, burn-in really does become a problem. I'm probably being overly cautious though.

I must admit if an OLED monitor with all the trimmings appeared for a sensible price I'd buy one in a heartbeat. OLED is so far beyond existing panel technology it's hard to go back once you've experienced it, especially with HDR as sideways14a mentioned.

Caporegime

suspect OLED wont come in great numbers to PC monitors. Mini LED is going to be big thing in 2020 and micro LED with quantum dot will mean they are as good as OLED but without any burn in issues. But that might be 2021/22 before we see any micro LED screens in any number..

I see Asus have a 32" 4k 120Hz 1152 zone mini LED HDR1600 monitor out before before xmas but that will be around £5k i suspect.

Associate
suspect OLED wont come in great numbers to PC monitors. Mini LED is going to be big thing in 2020 and micro LED with quantum dot will mean they are as good as OLED but without any burn in issues. But that might be 2021/22 before we see any micro LED screens in any number..

I see Asus have a 32" 4k 120Hz 1152 zone mini LED HDR1600 monitor out before before xmas but that will be around £5k i suspect.

That ASUS is just what I want, was going to compromise on the LG 32" but I have time. hope you are wrong about the 5k£ which would push me back to LG.

Back
Top Bottom