anyone using ps3 on a monitor via hdmi>dvi cable?

Caporegime
Got mine today and updated the firmware, everythings fine, problem im having though is ive a hmdi cable with a dvi connector on the other end, currently trying to hook this to my dell 2005 fpw monitor, anytime i connnect it and switch to hdmi i get the message on the monitor "cannot display this mode".

I kinda assumed that it would work fine and dandy on my monitor like my 360, so far though no luck. :(

Caporegime
It does say in the PS3 online manual

If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system.

Caporegime
Sony make the most stupid mistakes ever. They constantly shoot themselves in the foot for no apparant reason. I don't think having hdcp is going to matter when blu-ray dvds can be ripped straight to a hard drive already.

Soldato
Energize said:
Sony make the most stupid mistakes ever. They constantly shoot themselves in the foot for no apparant reason. I don't think having hdcp is going to matter when blu-ray dvds can be ripped straight to a hard drive already.

You do realise sony dont own the hdcp iirc.

Man of Honour
sunlitsix said:
is HDCP a default feature with all HDMI connections or just associated with the content stored on the blu-ray discs used?
Part of the HDMI standard is HDCP. I believe that the PS3 uses HDMI 1.3 though?

Associate
from my own investigations the problem the poster is encountering is the dvi-d input must be hdcp enabled, it won't work otherwise thats why I have my sights on the e228 from dell which is hdcp enabled.

Caporegime
But it's not necessarily just the games is it?

If you select HDMI as the video output and the display device doesn't have HDCP, you've had it. It's the console full stop.

Back
Top Bottom