Anyone want some cake?

Soldato
There's plenty to go round. Large Victoria Sponge, freshly baked by moi. :)

Absolutely delicious, so light. I need deeper tins though to hold the shape as it rose over the top and went a bit tower of pisa on me. I'm pleased with the result though.

200g unsalted room softened butter, 200g sugar, 250g sifted self raising flour, 4 medium eggs soaked for a few minutes in shells in warm water to bring to room temperature, 2 teaspoons baking powder, half a teaspoon vanilla extract, about 200g double cream that I whipped, about 4 tablespoons raspberry jam, and dusted with icing sugar. All done by hand gently folding in flour to keep air in mixture.

20181125-231345.jpg

20181125-231654.jpg

Man of Honour
Looks nice.

Any reason you keep your eggs in the fridge? As far as I'm aware there's no need, so you can save yourself a step on your way to cake heaven.

Soldato
Good looking cake, not so sure about the "Granny" plates though.
I would not want to see cake (or any other of my meals) on pieces of slate ? ... need a show your finest crockery(what do gen x call it - disposable plates) thread.

I looked on Modders market but could not find any cake :(. so thread title seems misleading/trade decsriptions , maybe you can't you sell perishables there

Soldato
OP
Sorry about that jpaul. By the way, the Atora is bought and in my cupboard awaiting it's suet pudding debut. :)

Also, I've bought 75 cupcake paper cups and will be looking for a suitable recipe for some sort of fondant or creamy topping, or maybe I'll make choc chip or blueberry muffins. I guess I need to buy a tin with moulds for cupcakes and muffins.

Soldato
OP
It's all gone I'm afraid but I'll be making more soon. In fact, I'm thinking of making a chocolate sandwich cake with real cream filling. :)

Meanwhile, here's my latest bake off. Pear Frangipane Tart.

I made it last night. I put a thin layer of apricot jam lining the pastry under the filling.

I also made an apricot glaze, (2 tablespoons of jam, microwaved for a few seconds, teaspoon of water added, stirred then strained to remove the solid fruit bits) which I brushed over the pears. And then a light sprinkling of caster sugar as a finishing touch.

I made some whipped cream and decided to add a tablespoon of icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. It's delish!

20190110-223831.jpg

20190110-225349.jpg

Man of Honour
It really depends how quickly you use your eggs. Keeping them in the fridge will extend their shelf life quite nicely past the "expiry" date.

Studies have shown that this isn't true, in fact refrigerated eggs likely go off more quickly due to being exposed to a change in temperature when the door is opened.

Anecdotally, I use eggs well past their expiry date with no refrigeration involved.

Soldato
My response is from experience rather than studies, just keep them at the top rear or bottom rear where the temperature can remain fairly constant when the door is opened to negate any negative affects of temperature fluctuations.

Soldato
OP
I've used eggs 4 weeks past the expiry date, refridgerated, and they've been fine. If I'm worried, I do the egg test and drop them in a glass of water to see if they float or not. I also do the smell test when cracked open. Also, I have a nice big new fridge to store them and I don't need to clutter my kitchen with eggs on display.

Back
Top Bottom