Anyone with a CPAP machine go camping?

Soldato
Another cpap user here, the machines are an absolute god send. I've gone from falling asleep mid conversation with people and not even realising to just being normal. Since getting diagnosed I've stopped getting kidney stones too.

Only thing is I can't sleep without mine now, if I try I tend to panic and snap back awake.

Associate
I have one too. Philips respironics dreamstation with humidifier. Mixed emotions about mine. I call it my life support machine. It does help me immensely and I am definitely better off for using it but feel limited in what I can do now. I have got a 12v lead and have run it off a leisure battery in my van while camping but the leisure battery is a bit big for weekends away on the bike!

Soldato
OP
I have one too. Philips respironics dreamstation with humidifier. Mixed emotions about mine. I call it my life support machine. It does help me immensely and I am definitely better off for using it but feel limited in what I can do now. I have got a 12v lead and have run it off a leisure battery in my van while camping but the leisure battery is a bit big for weekends away on the bike!

My post details lithium polymer batteries which are small and powerful. The 22Ah one does 3 to 5 nights on one charge

I don’t use the humidifier, does it help you?

noj

noj

Associate
A bit off topic....I recently got diagnosed with non-R.E.M. parasomnias being caused by a sleep breathing disorder. Sleep study shows it up pretty well, I don’t need a cpap hopefully. They’re going to try a mandibular splint and some medication to start with.

You don’t need to be overweight to suffer...I’m 6ft 3 and 12 1/2 stone, apparently tall people and those with short lower jaws can suffer too.
If it fixes the damn night terrors I’ll be much relieved (and actually be able to look forward to sleep)

Soldato
WantoN said:
Have you seen my links, you could have a 1 to 2 night setup for less than £150. You’d need to call up eu-pap and have them recommend the right adapter.

Yep gonna take a look tomorrow when I'm more awake. Had a bad couple of nights but no work for a week now so long lie in coming!

Associate
My post details lithium polymer batteries which are small and powerful. The 22Ah one does 3 to 5 nights on one charge

I don’t use the humidifier, does it help you?

The humidifier did help with the dry mouth issues I had when I first started using the machine. It took me ages and a few different mask sizes and styles to get used to it. Those batteries look nice and compact. Room is so tight on the bike though with two of us and all our gear I would still struggle to find room for the cpap itself too. I may need to look into getting a trailer! Its either that or convince my girlfriend get her own bike which is not going too well!

Associate
By the way it’s actually awesome to read of others experiences and know I’m not alone on here.

Thanks for sharing fellas!

Another cpap user here, the machines are an absolute god send. I've gone from falling asleep mid conversation with people and not even realising to just being normal. Since getting diagnosed I've stopped getting kidney stones too.

Only thing is I can't sleep without mine now, if I try I tend to panic and snap back awake.

Mine was bad enough they took the HGV licence off me. Thankfully I sortta knew it was coming and planed ahead

Soldato
OP
The humidifier did help with the dry mouth issues I had when I first started using the machine. I would still struggle to find room for the cpap itself too.

Ah ok, luckily enough I don’t don’t a dry mouth! Something at least!

There’s some pretty cool travel cpaps. I’ve managed to find a compact one that has a travel humidifier too.

https://www.eu-pap.co.uk/cpap-sleep...MI6JKKjafL2gIVDzobCh3PcAAcEAAYAyAAEgKsXvD_BwE

Don’t know if it’s any good to you but hopefully worth a look.

I’m a bit of a glamper at this point so I don’t mind the full size dreamstation, but if I were biking I’d consider that one and the 1 to 2 day battery for a very lightweight and portable setup.

Soldato
My OSA is really well managed now, I score a 1 on the sleepiness scale at last count which is an amazing difference to where I was when I started.

Learning to drive still worries me though incase I can't stay awake.

Soldato
OP
I’ll be buying the 22aH setup in May.

I’ll also be buying an inverter to see if I can inflate and deflate our mattress with built in pump and get at least 2 nights out of th me battery.

I’ll also be buying a couple of their proprietary bullet connectors so I can attach various devices.

Will update for those interested.

Caporegime
Mine was bad enough they took the HGV licence off me. Thankfully I sortta knew it was coming and planed ahead
My HGV license was revoked when I was diagnosed (not too much of an issue as I was off work after my heart attacks) ultimately though once the DVLA medical (read moronic) section finally pulled their heads out of their backsides they eventually wrote to my consultant who confirmed I was under treatment and the condition was managed, I initially got my HGV back on a restricted 12 month license but now (three + years on) it’s full and unrestricted so long as I continue treatment and go to my periodic check ups.

Soldato
If using a "leisure"/car battery a solar trickle charger might help eek some extra run time out of it. Not sure how effective it would be in Britain though...

Something struck me though, what is the fail over state of these masks? Does it make it extra hard to breath when the power goes?

Soldato
OP
If using a "leisure"/car battery a solar trickle charger might help eek some extra run time out of it. Not sure how effective it would be in Britain though...

Something struck me though, what is the fail over state of these masks? Does it make it extra hard to breath when the power goes?

Good question.

In my experience no, not at all. The masks are fully ventilated and you can breathe pretty much normally while wearing them. Some people only use nose masks, or nose inserts, which I imagine would similarly be fine. Only issue of it failing is you would start suffering from apnoea immediately.

I do have a 21w solar panel on order, I think it outputs 5v so you I assume would need to invert it for it to power the machine, or charge the battery. Unless some chargers accept a 5v input?

Back
Top Bottom