Anyone with a CPAP machine go camping?

Caporegime
My HGV license was revoked when I was diagnosed (not too much of an issue as I was off work after my heart attacks) ultimately though once the DVLA medical (read moronic) section finally pulled their heads out of their backsides they eventually wrote to my consultant who confirmed I was under treatment and the condition was managed, I initially got my HGV back on a restricted 12 month license but now (three + years on) it’s full and unrestricted so long as I continue treatment and go to my periodic check ups.

did you inform your insurance company? was there a big hit on the premium?

Soldato
OP
I’ll be updating this thread soon. The super fancy tent I backed is finally arriving this month, a year later than promised.

As long as it doesn’t turn out to be two sticks and a bit of tarp, I’ll be getting a battery for my CPAP as our favourite site doesn’t have hookup.

Caporegime
I have sleep onset apnea on a semi-regular basis... in the instant you wake up you become aware that you have stopped breathing, but you start again the instant you wake up. It's just become normal. Disconcerting for the briefest of moments and then you drift off again.

No idea what happens in my sleep after that tho. My cat never tells me if I've stopped breathing.

Had no idea what these CPAP machines were, only ever seen them on that advert for some mask cleaning bath or something.

Caporegime
I’ll be updating this thread soon. The super fancy tent I backed is finally arriving this month, a year later than promised.

As long as it doesn’t turn out to be two sticks and a bit of tarp, I’ll be getting a battery for my CPAP as our favourite site doesn’t have hookup.

is the tent built for CPAP users?

Soldato
OP
I have sleep onset apnea on a semi-regular basis... in the instant you wake up you become aware that you have stopped breathing, but you start again the instant you wake up. It's just become normal. Disconcerting for the briefest of moments and then you drift off again.

No idea what happens in my sleep after that tho. My cat never tells me if I've stopped breathing.

Had no idea what these CPAP machines were, only ever seen them on that advert for some mask cleaning bath or something.

I get that, didn’t realise it was a medically defined thing. Apnea also triggers my sleep paralysis, which is the bloody terrifying and lasts for minutes.

It made a huge difference for me. It also completely cured my (bonkers loud) snoring. I do get fed up with the mask sometimes, but I wouldn’t be without it. If I have to sleep a night without it I really notice the difference (as does the neighbourhood).

Caporegime
Any other mask/CPAP users found they simply can’t sleep now without the mask?

I hated it initially but now find it almost acts like a sleep switch when I put it on, I’m out in no time.

I do find myself continually dreaming I’m being attacked by an Alien face hugger when the tube wraps around my neck! :o

Biggest issue was partner(s) but I’ve found to the majority of them it’s a non issue, thankfully!

It was an issue with my ex wife, part of the reason she’s now my ex.

did you inform your insurance company? was there a big hit on the premium?
Yes, in comparison sites I select the “DVLA aware,no restrictions” - the DVLA are aware of my condition but so long as I use my CPAP machine and go to my periodic check ups, no problem.

Can’t say the insurance took a hit, around the time I changed from an e46 318i to an e46 325i and the premium difference was negligible.

Soldato
Wondered if I have this myself as no matter how much sleep I get I wake up feeling exhausted :(

Also if I end up on my back in my sleep apparently my snoring is rather seismic!

Is the best bet to go to GP and just say "I'm worried I have sleep apnea as I'm exhausted every morning" and they'll hopefully take it from there?

Caporegime
Wondered if I have this myself as no matter how much sleep I get I wake up feeling exhausted :(

Also if I end up on my back in my sleep apparently my snoring is rather seismic!

Is the best bet to go to GP and just say "I'm worried I have sleep apnea as I'm exhausted every morning" and they'll hopefully take it from there?
Yes, and as a matter of urgency imo.

As I said I had undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnoea for years and the strain it put on my heart caused two heart attacks, had I been a bit less fit / older I was told in no uncertain terms that they could easily have killed me.

Man of Honour
I need to get checked I'm always knackered never mind how long I spend in bed and I've just gone through the sleep scale mentioned above and I'm well into the abnormal range.

Soldato
I use a BiPAP, similar to the CPAP machine.

I think some machines have a special battery you can buy. But I know also they can be hooked up to general cpap batteries too.

Having sleep apnea or other breathing conditions left untreated can be a killer. It's no joke. If you're snoring, waking up feeling like your choking, or generally don't feel refreshed after sleeping, then get yourself checked out.

Soldato
Yes, and as a matter of urgency imo.

As I said I had undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnoea for years and the strain it put on my heart caused two heart attacks, had I been a bit less fit / older I was told in no uncertain terms that they could easily have killed me.

I'll get an appointment sorted today, cheers mate!

I'm only 27 and relatively fit, but might be an underlying issue as to why i'm always exhausted and maybe some mental health stuff too!

Caporegime

Yeah just tell your GP and they ask you things like on a scale of 1-5, how tired are you when driving, when doing something boring, etc.

the higher you score the better as then you will be referred for a sleep study. if you score low they may say your tired more than normal but it's not serious enough for us to consider referring you.

you basically want to say your tired all the time no matter what if you want the sleep study done. you will then need to inform the dvla if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea and they may revoke or suspend your license until your treatment starts.

Soldato
Yeah just tell your GP and they ask you things like on a scale of 1-5, how tired are you when driving, when doing something boring, etc.

the higher you score the better as then you will be referred for a sleep study. if you score low they may say your tired more than normal but it's not serious enough for us to consider referring you.

you basically want to say your tired all the time no matter what if you want the sleep study done.

I did the tiredness test yesterday after reading this thread and come in with on the borderline between mild/moderate daytime symptoms

Caporegime
I did the tiredness test yesterday after reading this thread and come in with on the borderline between mild/moderate daytime symptoms

do you have a partner you can ask for more info? do you snore loudly when on your back? does your partner ever hear you stop snoring for periods of time then afterwards you start coughing / choking before snoring again?

if yes to all of the above then you really want a sleep study done.

if you are just tired with none of the above. you are wasting your time most likely.

Soldato
do you have a partner you can ask for more info? do you snore loudly when on your back? does your partner ever hear you stop snoring for periods of time then afterwards you start coughing / choking before snoring again?

if yes to all of the above then you really want a sleep study done.

if you are just tired with none of the above. you are wasting your time most likely.

We don't live together, and i'm normally a side sleeper, and I know that when i'm on my back i'm a very loud snorer, but she's not sure about gasping or stopping snoring as she's usually asleep before me and only woken by my snoring!

Been meaning to go to the docs with a long list of ailments so may as well get it organised and ask the question :)

Soldato
OP
I'll get an appointment sorted today, cheers mate!

I'm only 27 and relatively fit, but might be an underlying issue as to why i'm always exhausted and maybe some mental health stuff too!

Mine started a few years ago. I’m in pretty good shape. Weight, age or fitness don’t necessarily have anything to do with it.

They’ll ask you questions, give you a score then you’ll have an appointment at the clinic. You’ll take a machine home and it will monitor your breathing and osats.

Then you’ll probably get a Philips or something similar. Great little machine, very quiet.

Caporegime
We don't live together, and i'm normally a side sleeper, and I know that when i'm on my back i'm a very loud snorer, but she's not sure about gasping or stopping snoring as she's usually asleep before me and only woken by my snoring!

Been meaning to go to the docs with a long list of ailments so may as well get it organised and ask the question :)

Speak to your gp.

The only other thing you could do is set up a cam with an ad card. Like the yi range off Amazon. 720p is usually on sale for £20 and sd cards are buttons these days.

Then review your sleep.

The issue is when you sleep on your back the muscles collapse in such a way it restricts the pathway.

On your side they collapse but the pathway isnt as restricted. Which is why people usually dont snore when sleeping on their sides.

Soldato
OP
Although the question was asked a while ago and may not be needed by the OP anymore, I came across these recently. I don't know how long it would last but I thought I would post it here in case it's of use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOVOO-Port...power+bank+ac&qid=1559892970&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Po...c&qid=1559892937&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Still in the market mate. My tent is arriving about a year late and our favourite spot doesn’t have hookup!

Those may fit the bill very well mate. The option I’m looking at costs £200 to £500 so even two of these could be very handy.

Thanks man.

Back
Top Bottom