• Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anything new on the horizon (pre-xmas)?

Man of Honour
Joined
25 Oct 2002
Posts
31,791
Location
Hampshire
Just wondering if there are any 'new' cards coming out over the next couple of months, not necessarily new in terms of architecture, it could even be a cut down version of an existing part.

Reason I ask is that I might ask the missus for a new card for xmas, if there's any decent midrange parts coming out (~£150-200). The x1900xt-256 is quite tempting at £170 at the mo, so if there's not much on the horizon (maybe a x1950GT?) to offer an alternative or push the price down then I might just go ahead and get one of those.

Currently running a 6800GT which isn't too bad in older games but I fancy trying games like Oblivion which judging from benchmarks performs very badly on anything slower than a x1800xt.

I know there is the old adage in computing that there will always be something better around the corner, so you may as well buy now, but I'm not really desperate to at the moment. I can live with my existing card, but I wouldn't mind picking up a bargain.
 
Permabanned
Joined
11 Mar 2004
Posts
5,884
HangTime said:
Just wondering if there are any 'new' cards coming out over the next couple of months, not necessarily new in terms of architecture, it could even be a cut down version of an existing part.

Reason I ask is that I might ask the missus for a new card for xmas, if there's any decent midrange parts coming out (~£150-200). The x1900xt-256 is quite tempting at £170 at the mo, so if there's not much on the horizon (maybe a x1950GT?) to offer an alternative or push the price down then I might just go ahead and get one of those.

Currently running a 6800GT which isn't too bad in older games but I fancy trying games like Oblivion which judging from benchmarks performs very badly on anything slower than a x1800xt.

I know there is the old adage in computing that there will always be something better around the corner, so you may as well buy now, but I'm not really desperate to at the moment. I can live with my existing card, but I wouldn't mind picking up a bargain.


i believe youve just about had your lot now as far as Dx9 cards go. there may be the odd new variation but nothing to offer significantly more for your money.
 
Soldato
Joined
30 Jul 2005
Posts
19,557
Location
Midlands
LoadsaMoney said:
G80 Nvidias DX10 card is supposed to be around November, but that will be about £400 probably.


this is an odd one:

e.g Nvidia 6 series cards introduced > 6months later > product refresh e.g the 6800nu > 6 months later > 78 series introduced > 6 months later > product refresh 79 series released > *NOW* 6 months later they refreshed the 7900 series and pulled out the 7900gs and 7950gt.

so looks like their plans of pulling out a full on core change every year may be slipping, unless they do pull out G80 in november, but they have no reason to since dx10 is not gonna be out till next year and ati have no plans till then either.
 
Man of Honour
OP
Joined
25 Oct 2002
Posts
31,791
Location
Hampshire
A year(?) or so ago I remember reading that the graphics card manufacturers wanted to move away from a 6-9month product cycle, into something more in the 18 month+ range. The problem IIRC was related to escalating R&D costs and the huge availabilty problems which surrounded the gf6/x800 series at launch - remember the paper launches, with people waiting literallly months for their 6800ultra/x800xt-pes to be delivered?

However I haven't seen much sign of that, and to be fair NV have been doing very well with their GF7 range in terms of making sure that stock is available on time in large quantities.
 
Caporegime
Joined
8 Jul 2003
Posts
30,062
Location
In a house
Cyber-Mav said:
this is an odd one:

e.g Nvidia 6 series cards introduced > 6months later > product refresh e.g the 6800nu > 6 months later > 78 series introduced > 6 months later > product refresh 79 series released > *NOW* 6 months later they refreshed the 7900 series and pulled out the 7900gs and 7950gt.

so looks like their plans of pulling out a full on core change every year may be slipping, unless they do pull out G80 in november, but they have no reason to since dx10 is not gonna be out till next year and ati have no plans till then either.

Fully agree, there is no point releasing a DX10 card until DX10 is released, not 4+ months before it, as when DX10 is released Nv will probably be releasing a refreshed faster G80, 4+ months is a long time in graphics cards, easily be new cards out by then, but the rumours are November, so its not concrete, so id just wait and see, still be good strategy though, everyone and their granny will be snapping it up as its DX10, loads of ppl will be conned into buying it, and thats all that matters at the end of the day, sales = £££££, theres gona be loads of ppl seeing DX10 and buying it without realising that they cant use DX10 till its released next year, so they have yet another DX9 card, and if their DX9 card was high end already, oh dear, what a waste. :(

The 7950 GT was released to replace the borked 7900 GT's.
 
Man of Honour
OP
Joined
25 Oct 2002
Posts
31,791
Location
Hampshire
If history is anything to go by, the first DX10 cards won't be powerful enough to provide good performance in the most demanding DX10 titles anyway. The Radeon 9700 was a great card because it gave decent performance in DX8 titles, not DX9. Going back further one could argue that while the GF3 was a dx8 card, most people were buying it for it's speed in DX7 titles.
 
Soldato
Joined
9 Jun 2006
Posts
5,792
It'll still be the fastest card on the market by a long way so people will buy it for the same reason they've bought top of the range new video cards before.

Unless the performance increase is stellar then I doubt most people with something like a 1900 or GX2 are likely to change cards (unless of course they get a good second hand price for their old card or they just like having the fastest card available).

Top end cards are pretty good now - the next gen cards will be even better, especially for 24" widescreens at 1900x1200 and above using full AA/AF/HDR etc. For anyone at 1280x1024 it's probably not worth it unless you have a need for DX10 for some reason.

People with low end / mid range cards may or may not upgrade to G80/R600, they will just make a judgement based on performance & price, the same as when the current range top of the line cards appeared. £300+ for a 1950 or GX2 (the current top of the range) or another £100 for the next gen - doesn't sound such a bad deal to me if people are going to that end of the video card range.

Ignore DX10, it's just a nice bonus.... I thought we'd already had this discussion :D
 
Permabanned
Joined
11 Mar 2004
Posts
5,884
Athanor said:
It'll still be the fastest card on the market by a long way so people will buy it for the same reason they've bought top of the range new video cards before.


not quite true as DX 9 games will be ran via a software layer under DX10 which will probably mean this current generation of cards will perform better at the current titles than future cards under DX10.
 
Back
Top Bottom