Anything similar to Ortho Home Defense in the UK? (Insecticide barrier you can spray)

Associate
Hi there,

After doing some research I've found exactly what I needed in Ortho Home Defense - this is a spray that you can use outdoor that kills insects (specifically for me, spiders).

It last 3months and works really well according to reviews. It also comes in an outdoor, indoor and spray/ powder variations.

However it's really hard to find in the UK to get it shipped here. Is there anything else similar that you can get?

Soldato
Seems to mainly use Bifenthrin its very similar to permethrin. Both are not really available in the UK but permethrin is the easier to get as a spray for camping gear like tarps as I use it for that buy it from europe. It does kill spiders etc on contact. In the uk you can get https://www.pelgar.co.uk/product/protector-c-super/ This contains what you need and safe for pets. Its active ingrediant is legal in uk and similar to both of the above but is cypermethrin.

If you do fancy some permethrin go on ebay and search for this Seahaven Chemicals Professional Woodworm Treatment Killer Preservative Spray and you will be good to go

Last edited:
Soldato
Woodworm treatment, moth spray (Rentokil do a good can I use to treat windows/corners and drawers), flea spray, all contain pyrethroids that should do you.

For long term treatment I've also used deltamethrin but had to buy in from abroad. Nice that you can mix up a litre and spray all over the place and let dry - lasts ages. I've had bugs walk into my kitchen and die within 6 inches of the threshold, 6 months after applying.

Soldato
Exactly, grow a pair and stop killing all the insects that we need.
Personally, I encourage an arachnid army on my windowsill to wage war against the aphids and fruit flies that inevitably get onto my chillis.

It's absolute carnage.....but I've only got one good spider at the moment and he's absolutely stuffed, doesn't even react when a fly lands in his web atm.....there is a pile of dried husks of his victims though.

Soldato
We've just bought a house and are still doing DIY before moving... It's in good condition and clean but been empty for a year. The spiders have taken over! There are all sorts, and sizes, and old cobwebs and travelling babies and new strands in the morning. It's pretty cool, I'm fascinated by spiders but scared too!

Last night I saw the biggest false widow I've ever seen, sitting on the door hinge to the bedroom. I could've squished it or got my girlfriend to take it out, but we decided to leave it be.

Just need to encourage them all to find homes where they won't be disturbed once we're done moving in :)

Soldato
Massacred a serious moth invasion a while back with permethrin spray and it also seemed to kill spiders too.

The one I obtained was sold as anti-mosquito spray for fabrics: EX4 Anti-Mosquito Spray

Doubtless any other spray containing sufficient permethrin will also devastate any tiny critter population. Also kills fish and cats.

Back
Top Bottom