AOC Agon AG353 35inch ultrawide 200hz

Associate
Did a search but couldnt find anything - given the ROG Swift 35 inch is coming in at 2.6k for a great panel on a horrible gamer plastic body I was hoping for any news on this (which the prototype had a lovely metalish body).

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...rved-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-04z-ao.html

I presume we won't have to pay the ASUS tax and it will come in around 2k? The ACER predator with the same panel comes in at 2.2k. OCUK currently has the pre-order up at 2k - do we have any news on shipping etc?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Our news piece from the original press launch for this screen below. At the time it was expected to be available around Sept/Oct and I’ve not heard any updates to that since

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...h-35-ultrawide-va-panel-200hz-and-g-sync-hdr/

In your professional opinion do you think it's going to end up retaining the look of the mock up in the pre-order?

I would hate to be bounced into getting the LG 38inch simply because of aesthetics.

Would also I be right in saying that what it lacks in extra screen real estate it massively outperforms (the panel) in all other regards?

Soldato
Are these screens really worth the while @ £2k, you can still only run 10-bit colour @ 144hz, makes the rest of the settings redundant unless you don't mind dropping to 8-bit and who's going to do that everytime you want 200hz in a game, if your card cant handle it....
I really don't know whether to buy now or wait.

Soldato
We obviously don't
Are these screens really worth the while @ £2k, you can still only run 10-bit colour @ 144hz, makes the rest of the settings redundant unless you don't mind dropping to 8-bit and who's going to do that everytime you want 200hz in a game, if your card cant handle it....
I really don't know whether to buy now or wait.

Nope, not worth it at all IMO, but of course some will disagree. For the spec, I just don't see the value. The upcoming 43" 4K 120Hz Asus XG438Q is coming in at £1099... is the AOC (and the Asus PG35VQ) worth twice as much?? I defy anyone to justify that. They aren't the same spec of course, but still, it's a joke. These should be topping out at £1300-1500 absolute max!!

Man of Honour
In your professional opinion do you think it's going to end up retaining the look of the mock up in the pre-order?

I would hate to be bounced into getting the LG 38inch simply because of aesthetics.

Would also I be right in saying that what it lacks in extra screen real estate it massively outperforms (the panel) in all other regards?

I am expecting it to be the same design as pictured in that news piece and as per the early sample I saw, yes.

What are you referring to with second question? Not sure what you’re comparing to there?

Soldato
We obviously don't

Nope, not worth it at all IMO, but of course some will disagree. For the spec, I just don't see the value. The upcoming 43" 4K 120Hz Asus XG438Q is coming in at £1099... is the AOC (and the Asus PG35VQ) worth twice as much?? I defy anyone to justify that. They aren't the same spec of course, but still, it's a joke. These should be topping out at £1300-1500 absolute max!!

I remember at the beginning the XG438Q thread you wasn't over excited about this monitor, mostly dpi, what changed your mind?

Man of Honour
The XG438Q and LG 38GL950G
Ah I see. Quite tricky to compare 3 unreleased monitors :) but the AOC will offer superior HDR performance thanks to its FALD backlight. That and the Asus XG438Q will offer superior contrast to the LG because of the VA panels, but the LG will offer wider viewing angles and probably better response times thanks to its IPS panel

The LG and AOC are also more practical as desktop monitors than the XG438Q which is more of a monitor/Tv cross over and arguably too big for day to day usage, but better for gaming from a further distance including consoles.

Soldato
Ah I see. Quite tricky to compare 3 unreleased monitors :) but the AOC will offer superior HDR performance thanks to its FALD backlight. That and the Asus XG438Q will offer superior contrast to the LG because of the VA panels, but the LG will offer wider viewing angles and probably better response times thanks to its IPS panel

The LG and AOC are also more practical as desktop monitors than the XG438Q which is more of a monitor/Tv cross over and arguably too big for day to day usage, but better for gaming from a further distance including consoles.

The problem here is price/value... with the AOC looking to be twice that of the XG438Q, and if the rumours are correct on the 2300 EUROS for the 38GL950G, that will also be twice what the Asus is.

Man of Honour
Absolutely a price consideration too. I was only comparing likely performance differences in answer to the earlier question which was “Would also I be right in saying that what it lacks in extra screen real estate it massively outperforms (the panel) in all other regards?”

Associate
OP
Thanks for that, cash isn't too much of an issue (obviously I would prefer them to be sub 1k!!!) but i've had my samsung 21:9 for 6 years now so completely happy to pay a high price for something that will last for 5 plus years (far more than the graphics card for instance)

Soldato
AOC doesn't attend CES. The last I heard about this was back in September at IFA. I got the impression they were waiting to see how the X35 and PG35VQ went down with users. The whole flickering issue (now fixed) didn't help how they were received by users and won't have urged AOC to release theirs. I'm not sure what AOC's plans are now with respect to this model, but they don't have an official product page up and haven't issued any further press releases. Not usually a good sign for release in the near future (if at all).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the update guys. As for the X35 and PG35 is there any fix for the annoying Gsync fan? I heard ASUS issued a revision with a different fan shroud?

Or is decent FALD HDR dead for PC gaming for the foreseeable future?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom