Apologies to Rotty's Missus...

olv

olv

Soldato
I'll have you know I just broke into an e36 parked down the road and started stripping the bits out that are pictured and weighed them, nothing underhand here.

Soldato
OP
Answer to the question is as follows (courtesy of PeterNem's scales :D):

Wheel = 14.7Kg
Rear door cards (pair) = 2.5Kg
Rear seat backs (pair) = 14.7Kg
Rear seat base = 5.2Kg
Rear seat side bolsters (pair) = 1.4Kg
Bonnet inner lining = 0.6Kg
All the rubber sound insulation (mostly from the boot under various carpets) = 12.3Kg
Boot carpet (floor) = 3.8Kg
Boot carpet (sides) = 1.2Kg
Rear speakers = 2Kg
Jack = 1.7Kg
Various plastics from the boot, sills = 2.2Kg

So 62.3Kg! There are a few more bits and pieces that I've taken out not in the pic but nothing of substantial weight.

More needs to come out though - headlining I think will be next and need to have a nose behind the dash for more bits to come out. Passenger seat will probably come out for the next track day, and I think the carpets will go too.

Book weight is 1,240Kg, add the sunroof (20Kg) and the stuff on the lawn means my car should be roughly 1,200Kg. Will look for a weighbridge to confirm that.

Soldato
NickXX,

Buy some plastic and replace the windows, that will save you a shedload. Front electric windows? If so jam the windows up and get rid of all the motor and lower frame. Definitly get rid of all carpet. Also swap the front seat for something a lot lighter. Say like an S1 Elise seat, will be comfy enough but only weighs 6kg, whereas the stock Mx5 seat is 12-13kg.

Soldato
NickXX,

Buy some plastic and replace the windows, that will save you a shedload. Front electric windows? If so jam the windows up and get rid of all the motor and lower frame. Definitly get rid of all carpet. Also swap the front seat for something a lot lighter. Say like an S1 Elise seat, will be comfy enough but only weighs 6kg, whereas the stock Mx5 seat is 12-13kg.

carbon bonnet. Bonnets are heavy.

Fox: Read this thread - keep the FTO!

It's sold.

Associate
Wow! Pretty impressive, though my wonderful brother had a black one and treated like a slave who fell out of favour but it just kept going even after running out of oil etc. Good show!

Soldato
OP
NickXX,

It's tempting but I have a lot more to strip out before I go for the plastic windows. I'd like to keep the windows electric just for convenience, but the carpets are coming up and the front passenger seat can go (that's got to be a good 30kg!!).

I can get a fibreglass front bonnet for £130 which I might give a go at some point.

Caporegime
5 oil changes in 3000 miles? really? why? :confused:

Do you use tesco value mineral oil?!

Given that its old with many miles under its belt, I'd say he's being smart - £25 worth of Oil is cheaper than a new engine!

I bet theres no sludge in his. ;)

It's tempting but I have a lot more to strip out before I go for the plastic windows. I'd like to keep the windows electric just for convenience, but the carpets are coming up and the front passenger seat can go (that's got to be a good 30kg!!).

I can get a fibreglass front bonnet for £130 which I might give a go at some point.

NickXX, have a look here, you'll find some more weight saving bits. :)
http://www.moseleymotorsport.com/parts_e36.htm

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NickXX, have a look here, you'll find some more weight saving bits. :)
http://www.moseleymotorsport.com/parts_e36.htm

:)

Thanks mate - I stumbled across that site last night funnily enough. Will probably go for plastic bonnet and bootlid eventually.

Great little track car you got there. Love the wheels :cool:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of them - the guy who works on my cars just happened to have them for sale recently refurbed and with Michelin PS2s already fitted - perfect!

They're genuine staggered BBS alloys off a 328, just powdercoated in black. Means I don't have to worry about brake dust on either a cosmetic or corrosion point of view!

Back
Top Bottom