Apologies to Rotty's Missus...

Soldato
Following my Cadwell Park thread and our visit today to Cadwell Park, I thought I'd do a little update on the 318iS.

I've had it just over a year and am helping it grow old disgracefully. This is how it looked when I picked it up with about 143,000 (iirc) on the clock. It was 14years old, unmolested and a daily driver for it various owners over that time, the last being Rotty's other half. I signed on the dotted line and promised to look after it.

P1030955Large.jpg

Its first outing was to the Nurburgring, a great trip on all accounts getting the car on both circuits over there.

P1040540.jpg

P1040181.jpg

The cold and the shock of being revved to the limiter and nudging 130 on the Autobahn was enough to kill an HT lead. A cheap and easy fix and it was back on the road.

Once back in the UK we did a Car Limits day in it on an airfield. £40 for the day and various courses set up to drive around (high speed cornering and short circuits). Great fun and very cheap.
P1040748Large.jpg

After realising the car could take the abuse, Conanius (with his S2000) and I started racking up the track days.

The first one in my 318 was Bedford last August which identified an understeer issue followed by snap oversteer resulting in various spins during the day. I had the car laser aligned on a Hunter machine and fitted new wheels and tyres (Michelin PS2s).

The alignment and bigger wheels tyres transformed the car as we found out in December again at Bedford and was finally keeping up with cars it shouldn't have:
LMP_MSV_081213_0561_13-12-200815-23.jpg

Since then we've been back to Bedford twice more and today I took it up to Cadwell Park today. It has been a hoot on the track, is quick enough to keep up with the traffic, and importantly has not cost me a fortune over the last few months to put regularly on the track.
LMP_MSV_090117_0567_17-01-200914-04.jpg

Cosmetically it's evolved a bit with a various bits of plastic tat stuck on but otherwise it's pretty mod free. I swapped the SE seats out for the firmer, bigger bolstered Sport ones which cost me less than £100 to change and most of the interior is now sitting in our garden shed.

It's had a few issues, but nothing difficult or expensive to fix and has generally been reliable on the track.

In 3,000 miles, 5 oil, 1 coolant and 1 brake fluid changes it's been a huge amount of fun and has removed the stress involved with tracking a daily driver. I've learnt a lot about driving as well as learning about how things work under the bonnet.

So now I must apologise to Rotty's missus for every time I've slid, spun and shot through the red line with a mis-timed gear change, but it's been so much fun doing it :D

Man of Honour
Good little track car that with the right combination of ingredients. RWD and nice weight split makes for much track fun.

Don
I thought you had wrecked it when I saw the thread title :eek:

glad it's still providing good service and the car seems to be having some fun in its old age :D

Soldato
Looking good there. I remember seeing it at the airfield day, shame you didn't have the alignment and tyres then. Hopefully will see it sometime this summer!

Soldato
OP
However, for ultimate track weapon awesomeness, it needs new sus and bushes.

The polybushes are ordered :D. It's going back in in the next couple of weeks to get them fitted. Will be doing discs and pads too (EBC discs and yellowstuff pads). Eibach coilovers are on the list but they won't be bought for a while.

I thought you had wrecked it when I saw the thread title :eek:

glad it's still providing good service and the car seems to be having some fun in its old age :D

Heh, thought you might :p. I'm giving it more attention than my main car now - got the rear arches looked at last week, they look like new now :)

some great pics! did you have someone taking them for you or did you have to pay for them?

Had to pay unfortunately (£30), but Cadwell is a long way from here so although I will be going back, I'm not sure when and I'm not sure if it will be quite so sunny!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Excellent photos, Im guessing a car that old is pretty cheap to buy but apparently it was well made :)
Is it 1400kilos and 138bhp? I wouldnt mind one of those

It seems to be holding up a lot better than I thought. They can be had for well under a grand now. They are 1,250kg stock and around 138bhp, but there is a lot of weight to be lost from taking sound insulation and interior out. Doesn't sound like a lot of power but it is enough for most situations (it isn't great on long straights) but decent handling gets it round corners quicker than most other cars - it's very easy to drive on the limit.

Is that really necessary?

With regards to the oil changes, I'm not really sure but being as preventative as I can. The engine has 146,000 on it now and is over 15 years old. We covered close to 400 miles on the track in 2 trackdays at Bedford and as you really have to keep the car on the boil, I thought it best. The oil itself is cheap as it doesn't really take much (4l or so) and I can change the oil and filter without getting under the car (filter can be accessed from the engine bay and I have an oil pump) so it's no real hassle.

Soldato
looking great mate..

I might be after some track day info as ive just started to aim towards that by fitting a witter towbar to my insignia... just looking for a trailer now

Soldato
Assuming, of course, that it doesn't have one - You could always add a little Mocal (or similar) oil cooler - that'd extend the life of the oil a little, or at best prevent any damage from it getting too hot - and at about 50 quid all in including thermostat could be a good way to go.

Keep it at the right temperature on the motorway too :)

Back
Top Bottom