Apparently locking someone in a cage and setting it on fire is "just banter"

Soldato
"Teenage Audi mechanic 'committed suicide after colleagues set him on fire and locked him in a cage'"
That's a really strange headline; suggests he only committed suicide AFTER the fact (and the actual story).

Soldato
George's line manager, Simon Wright, who admitted to playing a number of pranks on George, told the inquest: "I was in the workshop when a prank was played on George and he was set on fire.

"It did not go too far. We knew where to draw the line," he said.

"It was not bullying."

He said that several of the things he had done to George, such as locking him in the boot of a car and hosing him down with a pressure cleaner, were things most of the apprentices were subjected to and that they would always be laughing at the end.

Oh, the joys of working with those good, honest, hard working, salt of the earth types.

It's good to hear they still know where the line is on apprentice burning.

Soldato
There should be prosecutions for this. That's absolutely unacceptable behavior.

I had my fair share of pranks as an apprentice, nothing that felt like bullying though. I still laugh about being duck-taped/bubble-wrapped to a chair and left in the lift. :D :eek:

Soldato
"I was in the workshop when a prank was played on George and he was set on fire.

ERRRRM. Im pretty sure setting somebody one fire has already gone too far by the time youve dowsed them in flammable liquid.

"It was not bullying."

Yes, yes it was.

He said that several of the things he had done to George, such as locking him in the boot of a car and hosing him down with a pressure cleaner, were things most of the apprentices were subjected to and that they would always be laughing at the end.

The dealership's manager, Terry Kindeleit, giving evidence at the inquest, told the coroner that some of the pranks were "in response to George's behaviour such as being cheeky or lippy",

as if thats an excuse

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Like a few have said, a bit of banter with trainees and apprentices is expected (i.e. making someone lift all of the floor panels in the DC looking for dropped packets....), but physical abuse? Setting someone ON FIRE? Locking them in a cage? Come on..

Associate
Story made me think of Pyro :(

Really miss him, was such a character on the forums.

For those that dont remember him he commited suicide from bullying whilst doing national service :(

Soldato
that poor lad. seems even his father failed him, for which I am sure he will be racked by guilt for the rest of his life. I worked in a garage as a 16-17 year old (part time) and yes some of the pranks could be a bit lively but there was never any malice and certainly no one was ever set on fire.

seems like the guys at this garage are a bunch of gutless bullies, backed and supported by management.

he had arrived at work one morning and was greeted by his boss who said: "Oh, so you are alive after all".
if true, whoever said that is a total piece of ****. hope he gets sacked.

just a shame none of them can be done for manslaughter

Soldato
George's line manager, Simon Wright, who admitted to playing a number of pranks on George, told the inquest: "I was in the workshop when a prank was played on George and he was set on fire.

"It was not bullying."

After setting a man on fire I do wonder where the line gets drawn.

If this is a franchise dealership then Audi really need to step in here and revoke the dealerships license, this is disgusting behavior. You might expect from the floor staff but the top managers really ought to know better and should have stepped in and disciplined their staff.

Caporegime
Way over the line. At the last place we worked we sent apprentices to local shops to get bubbles for spirit levels and trying to jump start cut off saws by pushing them along the ground but locking people up in the boots of cars, in cages and setting them fire is way over the line.

Back
Top Bottom