Apparently locking someone in a cage and setting it on fire is "just banter"

Associate
Someone needs to be prosecuted here not just sacked for the malice they showed. When you work with someone day in day out, it doesn't take much to realise the point at which you are making a life miserable.
No one should be made to feel the way this person felt at the time of his death especially as a result of 'workplace banter'

Caporegime
Sickening that kind of stuff doesn't belong in the modern workplace.

Nah, wait long enough and somebody will be along to call us all soft leftie liberals and that it never did them any harm when they were an apprentice getting locked in a well for 6 weeks and living off rats etc. Oh how they laugh about it now.

Soldato
Should sack the whole staff at that garage. That's disgusting.

I have noted though bullying is rife in work places now. Management are the biggest bunch of them all.

Caporegime
George's line manager, Simon Wright, who admitted to playing a number of pranks on George, told the inquest: "I was in the workshop when a prank was played on George and he was set on fire.

"It did not go too far. We knew where to draw the line," he said.

"It was not bullying."

Deluded. I hope the weight (if he eventually realises) follows him for the rest of his life.

Caporegime
from the story " He had previously taken an overdose of his medication. "

so while i feel for the family seems he wasnt in full health or a great mental condition.add the over the top work antics probably just tipped him over the edge.

new papers/media in general you just have to take every story with a pinch of salt.they will report anything how they want to.

work banter routines and whatever are different at every place . especially for new people and at certain jobs.garages are generally all male afair. often older mechanics will have had sort of same stuff done to them.sort of pranks arent that unusual.

so how i look at it is.he wasn't a well individual and the stunts just made it impossible to cope with what he probably already was struggling with in life.:(

Caporegime
Why do news articles always have to release full names of non involved parties. I.E his girlfriend of the time.

Garages are horrible when it comes to 'pranks' mostly because these old codgers had it done to them and can't move on. Some of the stories I've heard are just well, not even really funny. I'm all up for taking the **** out of the new guys, it's almost a right of passage. But that is going far past the line.

Soldato
Why do news articles always have to release full names of non involved parties. I.E his girlfriend of the time.

Agreed her name has no real relevance to the article. I don't see why she should have to be news.

I'm not sure how anyone could see such things as pranks. Especially if they knew he had a mental illness.

Soldato
Way over the line. At the last place we worked we sent apprentices to local shops to get bubbles for spirit levels and trying to jump start cut off saws by pushing them along the ground but locking people up in the boots of cars, in cages and setting them fire is way over the line.
I'm guessing you know but that is actually an ISIS tactic, not cool, bunch of ****ers.

Associate
My mate used to work in a garage and some of the things done to the apprentices were just awful, stripping them naked, tying them to a post, dousing them in brake fluid and taunting them with a lighter. It was only when one of the apprentices threw a wheel brace across the workshop at one of the instigators that things were officially 'calmed down'.

Caporegime
Will Audi respond by having a flash sale I wonder?

One thing is for sure, it's not very mature

I suspect at this point they'll be more concerned about the emissions from the burning and how to defeat them.

//serious note, if my kid came home with burned clothes I'd be at the garage in minutes expecting an explanation. This should never have been allowed to get this far. It sucks for the dad but at the end of the day this is blatant neglect.

Man of Honour
How do they still have their jobs, surly audi should have stepped in.
and god his father ignoring him, to watch a golf game. that's got to hurt. But seems he wasn't very good at being a parent.

Caporegime
Father failed him as well. Was more interested in his golf rather than his wellbeing. Also ignored his requests about his hate for the job. Most likely a theme that happened throughout the poor sods life which moulded him into the person he was.

I do not condone what they did and they should all be fired but you do get those week types that just cannot defend themselves. This is where the management should have stepped in but obviously they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom