Apparently locking someone in a cage and setting it on fire is "just banter"

Soldato
That's so far over the line that the line is a tiny dot in the distance. They should all be thrown in prison for a long time for this disgusting behaviour. My heart goes out to the young victim and his family.

Soldato
from the story " He had previously taken an overdose of his medication. "

so while i feel for the family seems he wasnt in full health or a great mental condition.add the over the top work antics probably just tipped him over the edge.

new papers/media in general you just have to take every story with a pinch of salt.they will report anything how they want to.

work banter routines and whatever are different at every place . especially for new people and at certain jobs.garages are generally all male afair. often older mechanics will have had sort of same stuff done to them.sort of pranks arent that unusual.

so how i look at it is.he wasn't a well individual and the stunts just made it impossible to cope with what he probably already was struggling with in life.:(

The problem is that they knew he was mentally ill and rubbed it in his face by taunting him about it and the act of suicide. This was done while tormenting him.

Soldato
work banter routines and whatever are different at every place .
There's "work banter" and then there's physical assault. One is acceptable as long as the receiving party is on board, the other deserves a prison sentence.

I'll leave it up to you to decide which of those setting someone in fire comes under...

Surely in those circumstances you'd just grab whatever tool was to hand and defend yourself with it?

Soldato
Apprentice banter and general hell is normal I had it all, but this is too far! Yeah we all got locked somewhere or taped to chairs/outside etc.. But no one would have put your life in any danger by setting you on fire. Poor lad

Man of Honour
No place for this in the modern workplace, it's just bullying under the terms of learning the ropes. Fire the people who did it, keep firing them until they stop.

Soldato
so let me get this straight

someone pours flammable liquid on someone and sets their clothes on fire, whilst being locked in a cage....and they aren't being prosecuted?

somethings not right here

Soldato
I think it's well known that apprentices get many tricks played on them but that sounds like it's gone wayy too far. Poor guy :(

apprentice jokes are things like asking them to go get some tartan paint, or a long weight, as far as i can tell putting someone in a cage and setting them on fire should be at least a serious assault charge if not attempted murder.

Caporegime
so let me get this straight

someone pours flammable liquid on someone and sets their clothes on fire, whilst being locked in a cage....and they aren't being prosecuted?

somethings not right here

Well depending on what the coroner says, I would hope somebody is.

Caporegime
The problem is that they knew he was mentally ill and rubbed it in his face by taunting him about it and the act of suicide. This was done while tormenting him.

if that was the actual case then they deserve to be done.the thing is with media how do you believe whatever is written or shown half the time as truth.

V F

V F

Soldato
My mate used to work in a garage and some of the things done to the apprentices were just awful, stripping them naked, tying them to a post, dousing them in brake fluid and taunting them with a lighter. It was only when one of the apprentices threw a wheel brace across the workshop at one of the instigators that things were officially 'calmed down'.

Stripping them naked with grease was the one I always heard. I hated it when they chased you around the garage with grease. I ran for my life because lets be real the graphite grease is awful! They'd put it down peoples chests, all over their face and/or hair. That stuff is a nightmare to clean.

Caporegime
There's "work banter" and then there's physical assault. One is acceptable as long as the receiving party is on board, the other deserves a prison sentence.

I'll leave it up to you to decide which of those setting someone in fire comes under...

Surely in those circumstances you'd just grab whatever tool was to hand and defend yourself with it?

as i said in some places many here probably havent experienced anything similar but in reality it isnt that uncommon. ask anyone who has been a mechanic or even some other places like warehouse work or other mainly manly work.its quite common for apprentices or new people young lads to get taunted jeered teased.they see it as sort of a trial to see if you ll stick it.obviously this instance isnt a joke or funny.its sad its ended this way.

placed i worked at have seen similar . young lads or new even almost full on fights just to see what you were like or if you could take it. just because others are unfamiliar with things like this its not that uncommon.

Don
There was a lad killed last year near me on his last day as a summer experience guy at his dad's work, suffered massive internal injuries, it was his dad that did CPR on him till they got him to hospital but he died. The guy that did it (and it's never been reported what he actually did) ended up getting charged.

V F

V F

Soldato
as i said in some places many here probably havent experienced anything similar but in reality it isnt that uncommon. ask anyone who has been a mechanic or even some other places like warehouse work or other mainly manly work.its quite common for apprentices or new people young lads to get taunted jeered teased.they see it as sort of a trial to see if you ll stick it.obviously this instance isnt a joke or funny.its sad its ended this way.

placed i worked at have seen similar . young lads or new even almost full on fights just to see what you were like or if you could take it. just because others are unfamiliar with things like this its not that uncommon.

Some are really twisted for a laugh. During lunch a long time ago, one thought it was a laugh buffing small aluminium plates then placed it on the outside of my left hand near my thumb as I was talking to another guy while my hand was leaning on the table away from any items.

It lifted the skin right off and stuck to the piece. He then buffed it off with the machine and laughed as I was jumping about in pain. It took over 14 years for the scar to fade away.

Soldato
It appears that anyone with a duty of care involved in this has swept it under the carpet since the event. Audi UK's statement doesn't go nearly far enough.

Hopefully now that the media has got a hold of the story and it's spreading on social media some action will be taken against those involved, by Audi UK, by Synter, and the Police if possible.

Soldato

Just because it's not uncommon, doesn't make it acceptable, and I would have no sympathy for a senior employee who ended up with a wrench to the face in response :)

Back
Top Bottom