Apple Event - 30th October - 2pm - "There's more in the making"

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
For someone who has a monitor + KB&M already then a Mac Mini doesn't look so bad.

However if like me you don't have a monitor then the iMac would be a better buy.. when they refresh it.

I was considering Mac Mini + LG Ultrafine 4k and upgrading the ram myself:

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD storage
+Applecare and the Ultrafine 4 comes to £1,994.40 with edu prices.

For the same price I can get an 5k iMac. Just need that spec bump.

Associate
Was all set to get a 12.9" iPad pro to upgrade my 6 year old iPad 4th gen.
Shame that they've added ~£200 to the base price (I think you could get the old 12.9" for £719... edit: ok £769), which has given me pause for thought....

Last edited:
Associate
The same, I was all set to replace my Air 2 with the 10.5 Pro, for around £600-650, but at £750 I'm holding off. For that price I'd have liked 128GB or 256GB. That said, I'm am wavering and may end up biting the bullet.

Soldato
Same reaction as most about the retail prices, but if there's a good 10% off deal on Black Friday or a cheaper duty free price at an airport, I'd definitely like to pick one of the 11" iPads up :)

Associate
For someone who has a monitor + KB&M already then a Mac Mini doesn't look so bad.

However if like me you don't have a monitor then the iMac would be a better buy.. when they refresh it.

I was considering Mac Mini + LG Ultrafine 4k and upgrading the ram myself:

• 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD storage
+Applecare and the Ultrafine 4 comes to £1,994.40 with edu prices.

For the same price I can get an 5k iMac. Just need that spec bump.

Thats the spec I was looking at too and upgrading the ram yourself makes absolute sense! Do we think this would make a solid photo and video editing machine?

Soldato
I'd hold off for some reviews on the mini, the HSF in those things is really small for 6 cores and that speed. Guaranteed it'll thermal throttle.

Caporegime
I'd hold off for some reviews on the mini, the HSF in those things is really small for 6 cores and that speed. Guaranteed it'll thermal throttle.

Itll be better than in the MBP, do they state whether it's a mobile or desktop CPU? A mobile chip shouldn't be too hard in that form factor, they're 45W iirc.

Just read an article that says even the top end Mac mini uses a 28W TDP chip.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to admit I haven't been following the CPU market much in recent years. The i7 used to be significantly quicker and had things like hyperthreading that the I 5s didn’t. That not the case now?

https://ark.intel.com/compare/134892,134905

3MB cache, mostly useless hyperthreading, 200Mhz on the base clock (<7%), 500Mhz on the mostly unachievable boost clocks (<15%). For a 57% premium on the base price.

Not what I'd call significantly quicker for general use, or good value. It's worth noting the difference in Intel headline prices is $111, which translates to £150 from Apple. Maybe worth it if you're running a video rendering farm.

Soldato

Not convinced, those are a standard LGA chip designed for a socket. Apple will be using BGA chips as they have for years in the Mac mini.

Edit : Intel happily make Apple custom SKUs, look at the CPUs in the iMac Pro. Plus the renders of the Mac mini show BGA CPUs. Only the B series fits.

If you've got a better confirmed source, prove me wrong... ;)

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
I need to replace my late 2013 retina MBP so I'm looking at the new Macbook Air and the Macbook. I'm thinking performance wise they're quite similar to what I probably have now?

The default storage option of 128GB on the MBA is a bit disappointing though.

Soldato
I wonder if apple are pushing the prices to crazy levels to both test the market and they KNOW that they will loose a load of sales come brexit ? - Perhaps they are cashing in on the 'new shiny' with significant ipad upgrades etc now, hoping people will cash in as they know sales will slump as a lot of people on less than 30-50k a year will tighten their wallets as living costs are gonna go up extortionately end of March.

It makes sense strategically from their POV, maximize profit now for a 2019 large slump in sales in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom