Apple Watch and Diabetes Blood Glucose Sensors

Soldato
THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL ADVICE THREAD!! :)

My wife is type 1 diabetic. She uses the Freestyle Libra Link app on her iPhone, and the NFC sensor in the phone to read the Libra 2 sensors that she wears for 14 days at a time.

I'm wondering if anyone here has Type 1 Diabetes, these sensors, and an Apple Watch.... can you take readings off it? I can't seem to get a straight answer off the interwebs.

I've seen all sorts about 'tweaking' the Libra sensors by wearing things like a Nightrider Blucon to make it more of a CGM type device - interested to hear about that

Appreciate all and any guidance folks.

Soldato
The answer is basically no.

There's no libre app for apple watch (I use it on my phone but also have an apple watch).

However, the blucon will automatically take readings from your libre every 5 mins and if there's an app for it (I haven't checked) should be able to display it on your phone/watch. The blucon is an extra sensor that fits over the libre.

I did consider it at one point but decided it wasn't really worth it.

At some point the Libre 3 will be released which basically does this (without the need for a blucon). No scanning needed, it just updates the app periodically. Whether they will release an app for the watch is anyone's guess though.

Edit - Just checked there is a blucon app for apple watch.

Soldato
I'm not really sure why they couldn't make an apple watch app to read Libre 2. I think that's down to the app maker as opposed to apple. Although I put mine on my triceps so it would only be useful for half a month at a time. :p

The hackish blucom thing is because the Libre 2 is not capable of doing what is being asked. Libre 3 will be though.

Soldato
OP
Really useful to know, thanks folks.

I know there is talk of an Apple Watch that can do blood glucose levels... that will be a game changer if it happens, but I don't see it coming for some time yet.

Soldato
OP
Keeping an eye on this , as after 34 years as a diabetic type 1 I’ll be moving to a freestyle next month.

Just to echo what @mrgubby said above. My wife got Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes back in March/April 2020 after being incorrectly diagnosed with Type 2 after our second child was born.

Getting a freestyle has *absolutely transformed* her life. hound, moan, complain, push until you get one.

Soldato
40 years type 1, Freestyle is the best tech I've ever bought :)

And a bit OT...

I've found the Libre 2 sensors & readers to be very unreliable ( not accuracy, just fail to read), I've gone back to buying the Libre 1 sensors.

I'd say I've had an equal amount of problems with reading he sensor with both. The libre 2 is often more inaccurate but the alarms are too useful to give up.

Associate
I use the Libre 2 sensor with an iPhone app called xDrip4iO5. This provides automatic blood glucose data via Bluetooth to the phone every few minutes and has alarms etc. You either use the Libre algorythem or adjust from a finger ***** baseline.

The app is from a test flight account. I joined a Facebook group and was given a link. The other option is an app store version but it is a little behind on updates.

There is a companion apple watch app available. I don’t have a watch so cannot comment if it is any good but does look great from the pictures I have seen.

Soldato
THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL ADVICE THREAD!! :)

My wife is type 1 diabetic. She uses the Freestyle Libra Link app on her iPhone, and the NFC sensor in the phone to read the Libra 2 sensors that she wears for 14 days at a time.

I'm wondering if anyone here has Type 1 Diabetes, these sensors, and an Apple Watch.... can you take readings off it? I can't seem to get a straight answer off the interwebs.

I've seen all sorts about 'tweaking' the Libra sensors by wearing things like a Nightrider Blucon to make it more of a CGM type device - interested to hear about that

Appreciate all and any guidance folks.

So this is slightly different to what you were asking but there is a new app called "Suggah" on the app store. It's an exact copy of xdrip4ios.

It basically turns the Libre 2 into a full blown CGM. With it you can create a calendar in which the app pushes your current BG to (which you can then display on your apple watch). I now constantly have the latest BG readings (I believe it updates every minute) on my apple watch. It's a bit of a game changer really.

Download Suggah and use the instructions below to set everything up:

https://xdrip4ios.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

One thing which stumped me (I couldn't get it to connect initially) is you have to disable the bluetooth part of libre for alarms so that Suggah can connect to it. After that it was all plain sailing. You can set up multiple different alarms within Suggah so losing it from the libre app isn't important.

I now just scan with the libre app when I eat so I can make a note of how much insulin I'm taking otherwise I'm just glancing at my watch instead.

Edit - Sorry I just saw the post above. The reason I'm not using xdrip4ios is because it's not in the app store. You either need a Swift developer account or an invite from the app developer to use it within testflight which I wasn't able to get (it's limited to 100 at a time).

Soldato
Ah wish I'd spotted this sooner! I have the Dexcom G6 paired with a Tandem insulin pump and an apple watch. The whole system has been a total game changer for me, and I've managed to achieve my lowest HB1AC reading of 5.4% with it.

The dexcom is a CGM like the libre, and has proper native integration with iOS/Apple Watch. The caveat is that the funding criteria currently doesn't fund it for everyone (I pay £159 a month for it), its a lot but has been hugely worth it for me. In even better news, new NHS NICE funding criteria is due to be approved this week which will fund Dexcom and Libre for all who want it :) See: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...delines-recommend-wider-use-for-flash-and-cgm d

I have found the dexcom a lot better than the libre, its more accurate and crucially doesn't require scanning at all. Some good pictures on the website that show how it works with Apple Watch. It may just be a case of waiting a few months to get it free on the NHS, or paying for it in the meantime :)

Soldato
Ah wish I'd spotted this sooner! I have the Dexcom G6 paired with a Tandem insulin pump and an apple watch. The whole system has been a total game changer for me, and I've managed to achieve my lowest HB1AC reading of 5.4% with it.

The dexcom is a CGM like the libre, and has proper native integration with iOS/Apple Watch. The caveat is that the funding criteria currently doesn't fund it for everyone (I pay £159 a month for it), its a lot but has been hugely worth it for me. In even better news, new NHS NICE funding criteria is due to be approved this week which will fund Dexcom and Libre for all who want it :) See: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_u...delines-recommend-wider-use-for-flash-and-cgm d

I have found the dexcom a lot better than the libre, its more accurate and crucially doesn't require scanning at all. Some good pictures on the website that show how it works with Apple Watch. It may just be a case of waiting a few months to get it free on the NHS, or paying for it in the meantime :)

Oh that's good news! I had an initial appointment for a pump and I was going to go for Omnipod (as without dexcom and control IQ the T-slim with the tubing didn't seem worth it). They wouldn't give me a Dexcom as I am not Hypo-Unaware (thankfully). If they start prescribing Dexcom I may go for T-Slim instead. My next appointment for the pump is at the end of June.

Back
Top Bottom