Apple Watch - Buyer's Remorse

Associate
I have some nice mechanical watches too, which is a big reason I have not gelled with my Apple watch. If I only had the Apple watch i would probably just wear it, It feels like a watch you have to wear all the time to get the most out of it, your HR fitness tracking notifications are all obviously only useful if you wear it. It's not that great in a watch rotation imho.

Also I agree about the time thing, a watch has to be perfect at giving you the time or what's the point, the Apple watch can sometimes be annoying to see the time on, if you subtly want to see the time you can't as it requires a fairly broad movement to wake it up, I find in a day I will have the screen not come on when I want it to see the time at least a few times if not more. Sure a few flicks or a tap on the screen show the time but when I can see the time and date from any angle, and not having to move my wrist, on a mechanical it's annoying on the Apple Watch. Basically I really wish they had the option for always on display (My watch ends the day at around 70-80% so it's got the battery life to sustain oled always on)

Soldato
I did notice the guy in the cinema next to me last week, his apple watch keep lighting up, quite annoying actually.

He should have put it in cinema mode.

Can this stuff work out to be a good deal?

Depends on how active you are really. £29 initial cost then 24 months of between £0 and £12.50 per month.
  • 40 points per month = £10 per month payment
  • 80 = £7.50 per month
  • 120 = £5 per month
  • 160 = free.
My aim is to hit the 80 points per month or 20 points per week.
  • 10,000 steps tracked in a day, a partner gym visit, 30 minutes cycling, or 30 minutes at 60% maximum heart rate = 5 points.
  • 12,500 steps tracked in a day, 30 minutes at 70% maximum heart rate, 60 minutes at 60% maximum heart rate, parkrun, etc = 8 points.
There's no way I would hit 120 but if I play Touch Rugby twice a week (60 mins at 60% heart rate) plus one day at the gym and I've hit my target.

I bought an Apple Watch outright before and just couldn't justify it. It didn't really add anything to my life. The fitbit done similar and even now I leave it at home and don't feel like I'm missing out.

Soldato
I have the original watch and I bought it October 2015.

Its not as life changing as Apple would like you to think it is, and to be honest the only benefit I get out of it is the ability to see twitter alerts.

I dont necessarily think its an attractive watch,but it does it job.

I upgrade my iphone pretty much every 18 months, but I havent felt the need to change my watch yet.

Soldato
Apart from a shower and when i went to bed, i haven't taken the watch off.

Just took the dog out for a walk for an hour, it tracked me for a whole hour, measured my calories, distance, heart rate, worked perfectly.

Caporegime
How would it know if you were in the theatre?

Google maps or WiFi networks, I dunno, they figure it out.

Actually, it can check your email to know when you made a booking to cinema which has date and time of showing with cinema name. Using GPS it will know if you are in the area and automatically go into cinema mode with the info from the booking and your location.

You are going to say "what if I go in to buy with cash". But it doesn't mean my suggestion can't be implemented just because you can buy it with cash.

Associate
OP
Google maps or WiFi networks, I dunno, they figure it out.

I like your thinking, but the technology would be those iBeacons. Basically something that allows your phone to contextually know where it is. You can get this to happen in Apple Stores, it can (try, with the right permissions) to open the Apple Store app.

Have a beacon in the theatre and allow the OS to question whether you want to go to "do not disturb" mode.

You can do the same with Android yourself, I've known people to put an NFC tag by their bed, so the phone automatically switches to DND when it's there.

Soldato
I've still got my watch series 1 - I didn't feel the series was worth the extra cash at the time, and I feel the same with the series 3.

Used it for a bit in the beginning and then I left it on the desk collecting dust for six months. Recently I've started using it again, I find it most useful when used with the Airpods, quickly reading/responding to texts, vibrating for a phone call, notifications and the turn by turn map directions are pretty handy.

Though a month or so after buying the watch, I got the Airpods and can definitely say I've got my monies worth out of the airpods, where as I'm still on fence about the watch.

Back
Top Bottom