apprentaships? how do they work? career change!

Caporegime
Hey people as some of you no i fix computers for a living and i enjoy working with computers.

but basically after fixing them all day i come home and go on mine and with all the computers all the time its doing in my head, now computers i enjoy as a hobby so dont want to stop. but im thinking as im only young (17) of doing an apprentiship (sp?)

and having a complete career change, so i can keep my hobby of computers that i enjoy and do something completely different. thinking something hands on!

but before i decide what im going to do i ask. how do apprentiships actually work? can someone explain how they work please. and the ins and outs of them. like do you get payed etc?

I apprieciate all help and advice :)

Soldato
You get paid a salary and are released usually one day a week to go to college and study for a formal qualification in your chosen area of work.

Pros are:

Work experience
Usually a job at the end of the 1-3 years
A qualification
Kudos (people like a person who qualified through working)

Cons are:

Poor pay (somtimes just EMA!)
You are the lowest of the low in some employers eyes and they can treat you like the tea boy

There aren't usually a huge number around and you will need to proove you are keen and have good basic skills too. You are unlikely to just walk into one and may have to do some searching, speak to you local Connexions office for more info

MB

Suspended
Apprenticeships and I'm looking for one currently.

Mines to be the Engineering field and they are normally 3 years to a max of 4 years long.

Start about September time and normally consist of 4 days working with a company and one day at day release.

You pay scale rises through out the years you train and when you finish you are normally hired by the company and then your pay scale goes up a lot.

Capodecina
Permabanned
A large engineering company around here (BAE SYSTEMS) has been handling theirs differently lately. They have decided to instead send students full time for an entire year to college, then day release to college the following year.

It's a fairly good option to consider in my opinion, good luck with it :)

Soldato
Wardie said:
A large engineering company around here (BAE SYSTEMS) has been handling theirs differently lately. They have decided to instead send students full time for an entire year to college, then day release to college the following year.

It's a fairly good option to consider in my opinion, good luck with it :)

Network Rail are doing that too

MB

Suspended
At 17 you are the right age.

What are you thinking about going into?

You normally get about mid 9K's then 10K then late 10K's. Well some of the ones I have look at anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Rednut05 said:
At 17 you are the right age.

What are you thinking about going into?

You normally get about mid 9K's then 10K then late 10K's. Well some of the ones I have look at anyway.

im thinking something hands on. maybe like a mechanic or engineering something like that. or something to do with driving as i love driving! but to be honest i really need to sit down and think about what pathways or careers i *** take. im all open for suggestions. is there one for rally driving? ;)

Soldato
Ford do apprenticeships, if you like driving or wanna be a mechanic that'd probably be a good thing to look at, although it can be quite tough to get on an apprenticeship with them but I think it'd be a really good career, my mate's brother done an apprenticeship with them and is now a test driver, he gets to go to sweden and some hot country (can't remember which), he tests the automatic gear boxes I think and helps design programs for them and gear ratios.

Associate
Apprentiships are good, you get the experience of working while gaining qualifications too.

I'm just finishing mine now, just doing my exams for a HNC in mechanical engineering and my NVQ level 3 is just off been marked!

Depending on what profession you want to go in there is different routes, i started in a engineering training facility where they train you up to NVQ level 2 standard, then they arrange interviews with companies who are wanting apprentices, was good for me as i didnt have to do any job hunting :p

After working hard, im now on a decent wack, so im fairly happy!!

I recommend it.

:D

Associate
I think if you are willing to take 3 years of financial hardship it'd be well worth doing in the long-run.
Blair's 50% in higher education target is going to leave a massive (even more than today) shortage of skilled tradesmen. Demand constant, supply down equals price way way up equals big bank balance for you.

Associate
Phate said:
what sort of money were you on when you started?

While doing my training at the centre i was on 75quid a week.

When i walked into my job i was on 9.5k, then that went up according to my progess through the apprentiship to the wack that im on now.

Back
Top Bottom