Approved Used BMW Negotiating Advice Please?

Soldato
I really appreciate both your replies.
The M-Sport one you linked to looks stunning and if it was for myself (in my 30s) I would absolutely be looking for that kind of thing instead. But as far as parents' are concerned it would surely just mean more on insurance, more likelihood of being stolen, more expensive on petrol and running costs, etc.
It's a fair point you make about the car being based on 2011 design, I totally accept that. But I am struggling to think what technological advances the newer model would have that would actually be of benefit to a retired old couple popping around town. It's got the sat-nav, parking sensors and keyless start.... for them that will all be new and amazing in itself!
I'll have a look though at the A Class and other such alternatives.
Cheers
It is a simple value for money equation. You are paying todays money for a car drawn up 10 years ago. If your heart is set on a 1 series, then be aware that the new model is fundamentally different to drive and live with (it went from RWD to FWD). It may have "tick in the box" spec but a lot of that kit will from the iPhone 4S days.

And as your parents are elderly, I would genuinely avoid RWD for those odd occasions when it snows/gets greasy - as RWD cars are much less forgiving in such conditions.

Man of Honour
All very good advice above, though I have a feeling your parents probably won't be that fussed about having the very latest technology etc.

In terms of actual options and spec, there's not a great deal of difference between the 2019 'old' 118i and the newer model. However, the platform as a whole is better.

Man of Honour
So why spend £20,000 on a 3 year old small car?

No idea? I doubt they would notice a difference between the newest iDrive and the previous version for example. The F40 isn't exactly a technological marvel compared to a later F20.

I think you'd need £25k for an F40 118i...

Man of Honour
Have you driven both? I think the newer model is a significant step forward from the previous version. More so than you might expect. The interior is far nicer.

I have yes and I agree completely with all of your points, but you know what people are like...

I was talking more in terms of technology rather than build quality.

Soldato
I managed to knock about £700 off my car when I bought it in September, as well as getting them to refurb the wheels and change two tyres. Market was already going mad then too! I paid up front, no finance or part exchange

This was at a BMW main dealer

Man of Honour
Just to add, i had the same response from a car i enquired about with Arnold Clark. absolutely no willingness to knock anything off (even though the car was on the high side according to autotrader's guide).
Maybe the industry has changed a lot since i last bought in 2005. Back then i managed to get about £900 off a new Clio that was already on a promotional offer.

Arnold Clark do not negotiate. I'm pretty certain it's actually a rule there. I'm sure someone will pop in with: "I got them to drop £xx from the price", but loads of customer feedback agrees with me. Certainly over the last couple of years.

Associate
They want a car with prestige but it's an old model 118i with cloth seats and the crap sat nav. Listen to Fox please, he knows what hes talking about.

Back
Top Bottom