Aprilia owners (winners) in here

Soldato
Mine says it should be 2-3mm free play, the Hornet is 3-5mm I think, so it needs to be around there somewhere. Are you measuring the gap near where the cable goes in?

o_1b32pcrmluhs11lfp2t195p16eia.jpg

So you need to measure there where it says 1/8" & make sure it's around 3-5mm.

But yeah, that sounds right if it's better further away, so it was (is?) tight enough to slightly pull on the clutch constantly.

Soldato
Cold (thicker) oil and a slightly catching clutch by the sounds of it.

Craig, it's a hydraulic clutch on the Tuono ;)

But he should still have 5mm or so of free play in the lever.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm just guessing, but is it possible that the system is not bled properly and you might have some air in the system? I would bleed it first and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a pin on the black bit of the lever - screw that in more so there's some free play before it engages the plunger on the master cylinder.

Although, no free play would mean you'd get clutch slip, not the clutch engaging when the lever is fully pulled in...

I'd make sure the clutch is set correctly then if that doesn't solve it, go from there.

It could just be really thick oil in this cold weather which is causing the clutch to drag when the bike is cold. If it doesn't do it when it's warm then it's obviously your aprilia protesting about being used in this weather :p :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It didn't stall this time but it felt like it wanted to.. Deffo is protesting. So a further away lever helped, I will try free play next time :cool:

Soldato
With the lever further away you'll be disengaging the clutch more as you can pull the lever in more, so I bet it's either the clutch dragging a bit and/or cold engine oil.

Soldato
Yep, it seems a very very long way off.

My Tuono will get a wash this weekend before being put away for good, and once xmas is over I'll start buying some bits for it.

Associate
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about chopping in my 2010 Street Triple R for a new Tuono Factory.
My riding time is probably split 85% commuting 15% fun.

How do people that own the newer Tuono's find them for all year round commuter bikes? My commute is part dual carriageway, part filtering, part back lanes.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hmm, I'd want something different for year round commuting - granted I own a gen2 tuono factory and haven't ridden a v4, but on mine it's not particularly easy to ride in heavy traffic, the steering lock is woeful being based on a sports bike, so filtering is tricky, and riding slow means a lot of clutch slipping.

And of course there the issue of getting a beautiful aprilia factory model covered in crap through winter. If you can afford a new factory tuono surely you can afford a £1500 hack to use for commuting through winter?

Man of Honour
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about chopping in my 2010 Street Triple R for a new Tuono Factory.
My riding time is probably split 85% commuting 15% fun.

How do people that own the newer Tuono's find them for all year round commuter bikes? My commute is part dual carriageway, part filtering, part back lanes.

Thanks.

I would not get one for town riding or in bad weather. The ST is far better for that.

I have both a 2012 Street Triple and a 2016 Tuono Factory in my garage at the moment :)

Associate
I would not get one for town riding or in bad weather. The ST is far better for that.

I have both a 2012 Street Triple and a 2016 Tuono Factory in my garage at the moment :)

I can only have 1 bike :(, I am also considering the BMW S1000R or the KTM 1290 SDR.

Obviously I will test ride them all, but commuting is the main use of my bike.

Man of Honour
A Tuono is not the right choice then. Both of those are better commuters and the KTM is meant to be similar levels of fun, even if it is missing 2 cylinders :p

Soldato
Damn, went to take the RSV out for a mid-winter hibernation shakedown and the starter relay has *popped*. So a replacement 150amp one ordered today.

Not too bad, that's nearly three years I've got out of the current one, Mille's are notorious for eating these things. :p

Man of Honour
Can winter go away please, I want to get back out to my local.

The temperature drops to minus 25C where I took those photos at the moment, with a maximum of minus 10 :(

2016-10-22%2014.30.49.jpg

2016-10-22%2014.35.15.jpg

2016-10-28%2012.22.08.jpg

Back
Top Bottom