• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I have degrees in these fields, so I thought this may help somewhat when it comes to the high traffic problem. I can give you all some tips to better your chances at getting access to a site during high traffic. A lot still comes down to luck, but these should help somewhat by giving you some sort of a chance. Some may know this, and some may not, which it's aimed at.

1. Choose a different DNS. Some DNS servers offer better CDN Geo-location, meaning the time it takes for you to download a page can be improved when the DNS server is quicker at finding a better download server. OpenDNS is a good one. Some people use Googles' as well.

2. Stop hitting F5, like seriously, lol. Refresh is essentially putting yourself at the beginning of the race again. Unless you're hit with a 404, or 500, LET IT LOAD, lol. The reason for this? A website and its pages have lots of Javascript and Cascading Style sheet files. When you hit enter, the page sends multiple requests for the other resources which are needed. 1 request could be 10 or 20 per refresh, or even more.That's why it grinds to a halt. It might be slow as hell, but if you let it load without server errors, you might get ahead of others and onto the payment page.

3. Google Autofill? Yep, it's your friend. Autofill feature for Debit/Credit card in the chrome browser will help. Slow CSS loading times resulting in you not seeing the payment box, inputs, or even a button due to slow download speeds, will be quickened by using this feature. The browser can see the inputs, and all it needs is your CSV. Boom!

4. Physical Distance. Look for a retailer which has servers close to you. You can ping them in your terminal to get the IP, or just use one of those sites by entering their domain. However, sites which have DDOS protection using cloudflare will just return the cloudflare server location instead. Their IP will be hidden. Whatever retailer has the closest servers to yourself, should be one you make a priority. This will up your chances at getting faster load times.

These are just a few techniques I use to up my chances. I hope they help others too.

I'll give you a simple tip on how I got the Zotac 3080 on release day and my 1080ti on release day, Use a fibre wired connection lol, The amount of times I've seen people trying to order through their mobile phones and ****** BT or Sky internet is quite hilarious.

Associate
Jesus i wish i could just switch off wanting a card, doing my head in
Yup, same here. If we had this official queue thing from OC I could probably relax a bit knowing what sort of time frame I'm looking at. But now with this mornings random drop, all it's doing is reinforcing the idea of refreshing these sites frequently and hoping you get lucky. Bad for my health!

Associate
Yup, same here. If we had this official queue thing from OC I could probably relax a bit knowing what sort of time frame I'm looking at. But now with this mornings random drop, all it's doing is reinforcing the idea of refreshing these sites frequently and hoping you get lucky. Bad for my health!

Even with the queue it's all dependant on how big the shipments are that they receive from the manufacturers. Going to be hard to tell how long anyone will have to wait.

Permabanned
To people who got the FE today, did you notice whether the checkout had credit cards as the only payment method? I was on mobile and didn't see PayPal as an option. Pretty sure debit cards were also not an option.

Associate
congrats all who got their card, you lucky bar-stewards.

It feels like salt in the wound with a 5:30 UK restock to be honest, its like they honestly want to make this experience worse

Associate
I had a beautiful dream that I finally got my shipping email and the card arrived, good times. I also dreamt that my wife tried to get turned into a vampire because I fell in love with another woman, so all in all a good nights dreaming :)

Associate
To people who got the FE today, did you notice whether the checkout had credit cards as the only payment method? I was on mobile and didn't see PayPal as an option. Pretty sure debit cards were also not an option.

Yeah I didn't see paypal, luckily I used google autocomplete to do the checkout fast with my debit card.

Associate
congrats all who got their card, you lucky bar-stewards.

It feels like salt in the wound with a 5:30 UK restock to be honest, its like they honestly want to make this experience worse
I’m expecting more “oh it’s only a GPU, come on mate” responses, but this 5:30 restock definitely feels like salt in the wound. This whole thing is so grating

Associate
For future purchases a word of advice. If you are going to be making a large credit card purchase - and you know in advance you are going to be doing this, phone the bank fraud department, and tell them what you are about to do, give them the names of retaillers you will probably be using and a ball park figure of what its going to cost. Then they will pre authorise the payment and you won't run into these issues of payments being blocked.

This happened to me buying an expensive X99 motherboard, then there was only minor inconvenience and delay and there was no waiting list so it didn't matter, when I've made purchases after this I've pre authorised and never had an issue since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom