• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Whoever says, this poscaps might not be the problem yet, lets wait for more research, looks like the research has already been done! Hence why we seeing so many different pictures of poscaps and MLCC on boards from pre-release to now, would answer that question at least.
Next question then would be, like me example who ordered the MSI Trio X, has this QC also been perfromed and they have gone with 4 and 2 or not.

I am so on the fence right now on the cancel button if it is to be confirmed MSI haven't bothered, and just shipped out all the shoddy ones, as the Ventus has been. Hopefully reason we not seen many Trio X at the moment is hopefully this, wishful thinking though of course.

q1phqsf.png

5 plus 1 by the looks of it on the MSI Trio X which also the card I am waiting on...

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-3080-GAMING-TRIO-10G/Gallery

back.jpg

Associate
I am out going to cancel my Gigabyte Eagle order as i see there using 6 POSCAPS.... better to wait see what AMD offers ....What a rushed mess Nvidia
Thing is we don't know if those were review cards that have since been revised or not. Most reviewers cards will have slight differences to final production stock. Could also be why numbers have been so low.

Actually kind of happy to be 400 odd in the queue now.

Associate
yes 5+1

But what I mean is, we've seen others with 6 poscaps, and changed to the 4+2 FE has, so have MSI changed it, meaning that picture was before the change, as Trio X aren't shipping yet, or is this really the TRIO x final design, in which case, cancellation will be in order.

Associate
Whoever says, this poscaps might not be the problem yet, lets wait for more research, looks like the research has already been done! Hence why we seeing so many different pictures of poscaps and MLCC on boards from pre-release to now, would answer that question at least.
Next question then would be, like me example who ordered the MSI Trio X, has this QC also been perfromed and they have gone with 4 and 2 or not.

I am so on the fence right now on the cancel button if it is to be confirmed MSI haven't bothered, and just shipped out all the shoddy ones, as the Ventus has been. Hopefully reason we not seen many Trio X at the moment is hopefully this, wishful thinking though of course.

q1phqsf.png

On the Trio/Ventus topic, EVGA there says that for the XC3 the 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution was ok in their testing, where as the FTW3 needed 4+20. Notably from the images I've seen both Trio and Ventus have 5+10. So while it certainly seems to be a factor, and hopefully one that is fully worked out and fixed before my card was/gets produced, the people suggesting it isn't the only factor, and other parts of the power delivery system, and the wattage the card runs at, might also be factors. I remember seeing a few days ago that the ASUS TUF cards have more VRMs in their power delivery system than the MSI Trio (and I assume Ventus), which IIRC had the minimum according to the spec.

Or basically, going for a card with a "safe" number of MLCC might not be enough, it might just be one of several elements that make the difference between good and bad.

Associate
Also, I'm not seeing anything to confirm this but are the crashes restricted to people overclocking the cards or not?

Almost all of the crashes I've seen reported are talking about clocks of over 2000mhz triggering the crash.

Associate
Can I just say welcome to all the noobs posting here.

We always get an influx every gfx card launch.

I hope y'all stick around and enjoy the community.

haha thanks! My 1st time buying a gfx card to upgrade, plenty of other stuff I’m looking at on the store.

Associate
yes 5+1

But what I mean is, we've seen others with 6 poscaps, and changed to the 4+2 FE has, so have MSI changed it, meaning that picture was before the change, as Trio X aren't shipping yet, or is this really the TRIO x final design, in which case, cancellation will be in order.

Potentially but those images are on their official site so i would have thought they would have updated them if they had changed them. However it could be why no Gaming X trios have shipped yet?

Associate
Associate
It's up for me atm, but there seems to be a delay between the page loading and the out of stock button. I'm really hoping they have another restock soon at similar time.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3080/?nvid=nv-int-gfhm-16543

If you try and go to the tracking, you get a maintenance option. My 3080 FE order from the last drop was cancelled. They said that my billing information was incorrect, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case, so now I'm back to waiting for them to come back in. Fun stuff!

Associate
If you try and go to the tracking, you get a maintenance option. My 3080 FE order from the last drop was cancelled. They said that my billing information was incorrect, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case, so now I'm back to waiting for them to come back in. Fun stuff!
Ah that sucks, I hope you get it next time.

Associate
It’s not as simple as to say it’s a POSCAP (though graphics cards are not using POSCAP, they look similar in appearance though) vs MLCC issue. There are different specs for both types, there are high quality POSCAP/MLCC in terms of capacitance ability and there are lower spec’d ones. Like it looks as though ASUS have used the expensive MLCC while MSI for instance have used a cheaper selection for the MLCC and the POSCAP arrangement (even though they are using a mix).

MLCC is also harder to come by, they are used in a lot of electronics and normally need to be ordered in bulk well in advance(months to a year), if Nvidia gave a spec late on with this release window then it’s also very much on them. Also isn’t Nvidia supposed to approve the PCB design?

Nvidia have really borked this launch badly.

Last edited:
Associate
In regards to the Zotac Trinity, trying to distil what Buildzoid says about it - this card uses the worst capacitance configuration out of all the cards (only shared by the Gigabyte Gaming OC), but then the actual SPCAPs are cheaper and worse specs generally than the Gigabyte SKU mentioned. So basically, higher chance of not being able to cope with GPU load swings and thus higher chance of CTDs, exacerbated by any increase in clocks over stock. Basically, I feel that the Zotac Trinity has no stable headroom and they likely will just cap it even further via a BIOS update if they address it (because it's cheaper than modifying the capacitor config).

TrM

TrM

Associate
I pre ordered a zotac trinity oc card myself. The whole situation atm is so speculative as to why this is happening. So many differnt conflicting information and miss understanding. That I won’t be changing my order. Until they can say definitely that this is the issue or something else is the cause

Associate
I guess it's a blessing in disguise that this was a paper launch. If it's proven to be a capacitor fault then surely it shouldn't be too difficult for the problem board partners to do a quick design refresh. Pure conjecture, however, I do hope that they allow RMA for those customers who bought in good faith. It will also remove doubt for people buying as there may be retailers still attempting to offload these to less savvy customers. I'm glad I waited a day before ordering the TUF OC as this gave me some time to come to the conclusion that it received solid reviews, and clearly didn't exhibit issues during those reviewers tests. This is why review embargoes are utterly tedious and designed to shaft customers.

Associate
Really interesting video on jayztwocents called 3080 launch can it get any worse, wrong right. He rips a number of cards down and for me absolutely nails the crashing issue.

Explains to me why the zotac cards are under powered against the FE and why people are struggling to OC.

Anyone not wanting to OC shouldn't have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom