Are 4K films really worth the premium price ?

Soldato
4k easily wins if it not too heavily compressed and you have the right kind of tv kit (or monitor).

I'm perfectly happy with good 1080p content however.

Man of Honour
I know what you do for a living Lucid and i respect the answers you give on here to questions , but i think you are wrong on this . cost comes into everything :)
Respectfully, I disagree. Then, you'd expect me to say that, wouldn't you? :D

For most of us without a Bruce Wayne trust fund, cost is always a factor. Of course it is. But if we reduce everything to cost then it robs us of the maximum enjoyment of whatever hobby we indulge. For example, would you expect the sort of person who buys a super car to worry about the cost of fuel and tyres? You see, that's implicit when everything is reduced to cost.

Naturally you'd ask the question why they bought the car in the first place. There's no easy answer to that. Human motivation is often a complex and sometime contradictory thing. It's the same puzzle when I've seen people buying nice AV gear only to run crappy download and file-sharing streams on it most of the time. Why bother spending all the time looking at- and comparing the best TVs, amps and speakers etc in their class and then hobble the system with a blooming awful source? Yes, it's free - and you can't get lower cost than that without being sponsored to watch - but it doesn't do the system any justice.

You could argue that they're happy with the quality of the source they run. In my experience though this type of customer is more likely to upgrade their gear sooner than someone who runs better quality source material. They're always on the lookout for the next bit of gear that promises "better" in some way. To me that suggests they're never really happy with the system performance. I'm not complaining. Serial upgraders are good business for me, and so I've learned to stay quiet about the fact that they're spending more in the the long run than they've saved on an individual deal. This is how I correlate cost-based purchasing with being a bad thing.

To give you another example, look at the business of making televisions. That is almost entirely driven by cost. The real premium brands of Pioneer and Fujitsu curled up their toes a decade ago. Panasonic and Sony are losing money hand over fist on TVs. Names that were once synonymous with quality midrange gear such as Sharp, Toshiba and Hitachi are now just badges on the same TVs that sell as Polaroid, Blaupunkt, Technika, JMB, Wharfedale and a dozen or more other vaguely familiar names. The entire market is reduced to a handful of manufacturers, and as a result consumer choice is more limited than ever. All this is due to reducing things purely to cost.

Soldato
Not for me personally.
I don't find blu rays worth it in general for new prices. I think the prices for new blu rays is ludicrous let alone 4k prices...
I have around 330 blu rays that are all used (in like new condition) that I have gotten for £1-2 per blu ray and some new boxsets on Christmas/Birthdays
£2 in the limit for me.

I got the Bourne 4K collection awhile ago from a competition, compared the 4k and 1080p discs and in motion, I couldn't really tell the difference. If I looked a stills sure, but you don't do that!
The HDR is nice, but I don't think its worth the price.

Currently have a LG C7 OLED which makes my Blu rays look amazing.

Last edited:
Associate
Not for me personally.
I don't find blu rays worth it in general for new prices. I think the prices for new blu rays is ludicrous let alone 4k prices...
I have around 330 blu rays that are all used (in like new condition) that I have gotten for £1-2 per blu ray and some new boxsets on Christmas/Birthdays
£2 in the limit for me.

I got the Bourne 4K collection awhile ago from a competition, compared the 4k and 1080p discs and in motion, I couldn't really tell the difference. If I looked a stills sure, but you don't do that!
The HDR is nice, but I don't think its worth the price.

Currently have a LG C7 OLED which makes my Blu rays look amazing.
OLED? I'm jealous!

Associate
Yes i would say a good 4K source is well worth it, and i mean a GOOD one.. not some shabby ultra compressed crap.
I am busy building and Ambilight rear led setup for my telly to take advantage of the the image it can do - i try and game at 4k as much as i can but even with an OC 1080ti it struggles.

Associate
Having spent nearly 3K on a 4K setup and then spending a day calibrating it I can tell the difference between Netflix/Amazon 4K content. I've tested it between various sources and it really is noticeable. I actually did a blind test with a couple of standard Blu-Rays and 4K Blu-Rays and it seemed obvious which was 4K. That's with an OLED55B6V, Panasonic UB900 & Marantz SR6011 (not overly impressed with, I might change soon).

Soldato
Not worth it for me, I don't like physical media and would rather pay £2.24 for an HD Google movie with a discount code from buying magnum ice cream :p (ill only watch it once anyways).

They do look nice as I've seen a few (not notable titles mind you), but it doesn't make a massive difference to the movie (well not ten times better like the cost for me anyways)

Soldato
Just one more thing,when i rent movies from the likes of amaon,youtube ect i always get them in SD :)

Still enjoy the film none the less.

Associate
I think its with what people are bothered with a lot of people are still happy with DVD aslong as the film is good. Id say DVD to Bluray you notice the difference. But from 1080 to 4K not so much unless you have a decent sized Screen

Soldato
I would have said yes when I first started watching 4k on my OLED but now am not to sure.

£25 quid for top tier realeases is to expensive.

I now wait for reviews of the transfer and that then sets my budget for the disk. The past 4 UHD disk. I have purchased I have saved over 40quid buying second hand.

Associate
they seem a right rip off at the moment £25 each :eek: looking at getting a 4k tv very soon i doubt i will buy many discs, will be upgrading my console to the latest xbox that plays them i believe wont be buying a stand alone player for them like i did with blu ray.

any places that still rent physical discs could be a option ? used to use lovefilm before streaming took off.

Soldato
My answer is no. It was worth it from 480p (DVD) to 1080p but then I paid just over £300 for a 1080p projector second hand. To go to a 4k projector now would be X times that price brand new. To upgrade the telly to 4k is only going to happen when the current telly goes bang. I could buy a bigger replacement set & hang it on my side bedroom wall but that would mean I would not be able to use my Surround sound setup with the new telly (I rarely do that anyway) My eyesight the way it is these days, I may not be able to tell the difference at 92" diagonal display size. Summary = too expensive right now, I dont early adopt anymore (Used to) & I can't be arsed. :p

Associate
My answer is no. It was worth it from 480p (DVD) to 1080p but then I paid just over £300 for a 1080p projector second hand. To go to a 4k projector now would be X times that price brand new. To upgrade the telly to 4k is only going to happen when the current telly goes bang. I could buy a bigger replacement set & hang it on my side bedroom wall but that would mean I would not be able to use my Surround sound setup with the new telly (I rarely do that anyway) My eyesight the way it is these days, I may not be able to tell the difference at 92" diagonal display size. Summary = too expensive right now, I dont early adopt anymore (Used to) & I can't be arsed. :p
I think your simple answer of I can't be arsed tells us everything :D

Soldato
There no way I be paying £25 per 4k movie ..
Apart from maybe something like 4K planet earth 2 or 4K Blue Planet 2

I can see myself eating my own words if I buy a 65" OLED .....:D:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
There no way I be paying £25 per 4k movie ..
Apart from maybe something like 4K planet earth 2 or 4K Blue Planet 2

I can see myself eating my own words if I buy a 65" OLED .....:D:p

^^

You will be :D ;)

I hate watching normal SDR content now, SDR films look so lifeless in comparison to HDR.

Soldato
Why do people think you need thousands of quid of hardware and days of calibration to notice 4K? £500 and a netflix/amazong subscription and an hour of calibration and 4K is noticeable as is sun in the sky as opposed to no sun in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom