Are case fans still effective to cool cpu?

Associate
Back in the day with my first gaming pc my cpu was overheating while gaming. A couple of case fans solved this issue and brought temps down.

I know an aftermarket cooler would be the best solution but I was wondering if case fans would still reduce cpu temperature effectively?

Soldato
Easiest test to do to see if some more case fans would help is to just remove the side panel and see if temps go down significantly. If they do, you know that more airflow is going to help you.

Usually though the difference isn't huge and you gain just as much by giving the cooler you do have now a good clean out and maybe a re-paste.

Associate
OP
Easiest test to do to see if some more case fans would help is to just remove the side panel and see if temps go down significantly. If they do, you know that more airflow is going to help you.

Usually though the difference isn't huge and you gain just as much by giving the cooler you do have now a good clean out and maybe a re-paste.
Yeah I just built my computer in august and added 2 exhaust fans on the top of my case but it hasn't made any difference to the temp's. Think my problem is that I don't have my front fans plugged in yet because I'm waiting on a 3 way splitter cable becoming available.
Once I've cool air being pushed in and hot air being pushed out it might make a difference.

Soldato
That day must have been recently.
When I started PC gaming, only fan was in PSU.
Well, actually not even in that if we count other PCs than IBM/x86 PC.

But adding case fans can cool only as much more degrees as temperature inside case is above room temperature.
And unless case is closed bag/box, exhaust fans will get new room temperature air drawn into case and that temperature difference isn't big.
More likely cause is crap HSF of Intel, which is pretty much sized for word processing load.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/new-build-starts-up-then-shuts-down-immediately.18827263/

This would be very good for its price:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-single-tower-heatsink-with-120mm-fan-hs-008-cy.html

And this is step behind top level:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Soldato
Yeah I just built my computer in august and added 2 exhaust fans on the top of my case but it hasn't made any difference to the temp's. Think my problem is that I don't have my front fans plugged in yet because I'm waiting on a 3 way splitter cable becoming available.
Once I've cool air being pushed in and hot air being pushed out it might make a difference.

Instead of having 2 exhaust fans, try 1 and use the other as a intake until you get your splitter cable.
Would also look at getting a better CPU cooler.

Soldato

Why do you need a 3 way splitter? Just use 2x two way splitters. Or get a fan controller.

Man of Honour
There's negligible difference in temperature once you start adding in more than 3 case fans.
You're better off doing it properly and changing the CPU cooler instead. This will give the greatest reduction in temps.
Adding more case fans is just, in essence, a bit of dabbling round the edges...pointless.

Soldato
There's negligible difference in temperature once you start adding in more than 3 case fans.
You're better off doing it properly and changing the CPU cooler instead. This will give the greatest reduction in temps.
Adding more case fans is just, in essence, a bit of dabbling round the edges...pointless.

Agreed, once you’re effectively cycling the air in your case, it’s not necessary. Watercooling is an entirely different set of parameters of course :D

Associate
OP
Agreed, once you’re effectively cycling the air in your case, it’s not necessary. Watercooling is an entirely different set of parameters of course :D
I only initially had 1 exhaust fan at the back. Just recently installed another 2 exhaust fans on top and planning to buy another 3 way splitter cable to plug in my 2 front fans. (My moBo only has 2 chassis fan headers :( ).

I know that a better cpu cooler would be best but I don't need to go down that route I don't have temp issues (cpu idles at 26-30 degrees C) it was more of a curiosity thing while I was installing my additional fans.

Man of Honour
as i've said, (unless it's a shockingly bad case design) you've practically hit the top of the airflow curve with 3 case fans, and anything more will yield minimal benefit.
also, cpu idling doesn't give a good indication of load temps. a better indication would be to fire up a game (or prime 95 or intelburntest) and see what the temps are or whether your cpu is being throttled.
but if you want to waste your money, go right ahead. your money, your choice.

Associate
OP
as i've said, (unless it's a shockingly bad case design) you've practically hit the top of the airflow curve with 3 case fans, and anything more will yield minimal benefit.
also, cpu idling doesn't give a good indication of load temps. a better indication would be to fire up a game (or prime 95 or intelburntest) and see what the temps are or whether your cpu is being throttled.
but if you want to waste your money, go right ahead. your money, your choice.

Even if I don't have any fans bringing air in? I spent a mere 20 quid buying 2 additional LED fans to brighten up my system and fill in 2 huge gaping fan bays on the top of the case. Hardly a financial nightmare and it has made my system look way better.

Man of Honour
Even if I don't have any fans bringing air in?
2 intake fans at the front, 1 exhaust at the rear is all you need.

Hardly a financial nightmare and it has made my system look way better.
Up to you, as I said, it's your money to spend.
You asked if cramming your case full of fans will improve temps... :)
Also, IMO, you spend your time looking at the monitor whilst using the computer, not the inside of the case.
I'm not saying that the insides shouldn't be tidy...
...but adding lots of led fans is akin to having go-go-faster stripes on a car...if you get my drift (haha pun)

Associate
OP
2 intake fans at the front, 1 exhaust at the rear is all you need.

Up to you, as I said, it's your money to spend.
You asked if cramming your case full of fans will improve temps... :)
Also, IMO, you spend your time looking at the monitor whilst using the computer, not the inside of the case.
I'm not saying that the insides shouldn't be tidy...
...but adding lots of led fans is akin to having go-go-faster stripes on a car...if you get my drift (haha pun)
I wasn't really looking for a huge dip in temp's otherwise I'd get an after market cooler like I said it was purely curiosity.

The main reason for buying the fans was aesthetics I have a huge side window and thought it would be nice to brighten it up.

Man of Honour
Wondering is they key word in that sentence.
All that word did was turn the sentence into a question

Ok whatever, it seems either way, we've answered your question. We can agree to disagree till 2020 or till armageddon. Makes no difference.

Happy new year
Peace out

Associate
OP
All that word did was turn the sentence into a question

Ok whatever, it seems either way, we've answered your question. We can agree to disagree till 2020 or till armageddon. Makes no difference.

Happy new year
Peace out

That's because it was supposed to be a question I was curious. I also mentioned that I knew that an aftermarket cooler was the best option for reducing cpu temperature so it would be really stupid of me to spend 20 quid on two LED fans when I could spend slightly more and get a fairly decent cooler.

I get how it could be misinterpreted. Hopefully it's all cleared up now.

Happy new year.

Back
Top Bottom