Are dual cameras just a scam trick?

Associate
Not been following tech closely for the past few years due to life stuff like having kids etc and I naively bought the larger S9 (S9 Plus) based on the dual cameras. Reviewers had said it switches to the second camera for the 2x zoom, that the second camera is used for taking different focusses etc "this sounds awesome" I thought.

Well it arrived yesterday and first thing I do is cover the top lense and go 2x zoom...image still covered. Shocked I then start taking photos on all the modes with the second lense uncovered and then covered to compare. I genuinely could not tell the difference!

Have I just fallen for a scam marketing trickery and if not, please can someone give me some examples that I can try and replicate to show the second camera is actually doing something? (Covered, uncovered)

Thanks! :)

Associate
OP
Yes I was indeed doing this indoors (I assumed it was as simple as 2x zoom = bottom camera and not light dependent) so I'll get retesting this outdoors!

Soldato
Cant speak for the S9 but my Nokia 7+ zoom lens will work in any light, if i cover it with my finger the screen blanks as expected, LG phones normally use one lens for standard shots and the other as a wide angle.

I find the 2X really good on my phone.

Back
Top Bottom