Are EU Wi-Fi routers any different to UK Wi-Fi routers?

Caporegime
Germany has some pretty strict rules on frequencies so I would assume yes, unless the router has a country select which applies the rules differently instead of a single one-fits-all profile.

Soldato
OP
Some of the routers sold on Amazon just says EU revision with a 2 pin plug so i wondered if they were compatible with UK networks and setups.

Associate
In terms of the radios, I believe most models are global and set up the usable channels and power according to which country you select when setting them up.

But, if the router is one with an external power supply of the sort where the transformer and plug are integrated (aka a "wall wart"), the 2-pin version will be a pain. You can use an adapter, of course, but the whole then tends to get quite wobbly.

Soldato
Some of the routers sold on Amazon just says EU revision with a 2 pin plug so i wondered if they were compatible with UK networks and setups.

So long as you can select UK as a location in the firmware, they’ll work just fine. I do believe it’s illegal to sell anything electrical that’s not got a 3-pin plug in it though. My Trading Standards legislation knowledge ended a long time ago though, so it may well be fine now.

Soldato
So long as you can select UK as a location in the firmware, they’ll work just fine. I do believe it’s illegal to sell anything electrical that’s not got a 3-pin plug in it though. My Trading Standards legislation knowledge ended a long time ago though, so it may well be fine now.

I think including an adaptor gets round the legislation.

Soldato
I think including an adaptor gets round the legislation.

No, the Plugs and Sockets Regulations 1994 makes it an offence to sell or offer for sale pretty much anything electrical that isn't fitted with a 3-pin plug.

The exceptions are things designed to be used in bathrooms such as shavers and electric toothbrushes or anything fitted with an RCD plug.

Soldato
OP
I'm guessing it's the 2 pin adapters that British Standards have an issue with as you often see power unit plugs with a plastic earth pin, unless they are also technically illegal?

Back
Top Bottom