Are Monster Radiators (Thick Radiators) worth it?

Associate
I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer to this - other than having more thinner radiators covering a high surface area is better.

But i'm planning my 1000D build with a 420 up top, and two 480's in the front. Is it going to matter much if I pick up thicker radiators like these:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alphacool-nexxxos-monsta-480mm-radiator-wc-07l-ac.html

Or are there thinner radiators available with a higher fin density?

Soldato
I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer to this - other than having more thinner radiators covering a high surface area is better.

But i'm planning my 1000D build with a 420 up top, and two 480's in the front. Is it going to matter much if I pick up thicker radiators like these:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alphacool-nexxxos-monsta-480mm-radiator-wc-07l-ac.html

Or are there thinner radiators available with a higher fin density?

Big rads with lots of fans you really want low FPI so lower fan noise... Good airflow through often negates the fact you have more theoretical surface, especially as this amount of cooling is far more than really required. Thin rads use more fins to compensate for the radiator tubes and body, but usually results in poor airflow and in fact worse cooling...

Associate
OP
Big rads with lots of fans you really want low FPI so lower fan noise... Good airflow through often negates the fact you have more theoretical surface, especially as this amount of cooling is far more than really required. Thin rads use more fins to compensate for the radiator tubes and body, but usually results in poor airflow and in fact worse cooling...

Ah, I never thought of it like that. I take it push/pull at low RPM would work out decently with the monster radiators if i'm looking for a silence oriented setup then?

Soldato
Ah, I never thought of it like that. I take it push/pull at low RPM would work out decently with the monster radiators if i'm looking for a silence oriented setup then?

Correct, the low FPI is the way in my opinion and as you know I’m putting 4 RX480 in my 1000D. I’m not sure the monsters are hugely better than a 60mm (thick) rad in answer to your question but check radiator roundup on extreme rigs and you’ll get a feel for it. I would go with the UT60 over monster personally as it’s not going to make massive difference in dual config with an additional 420!

Soldato
ive got a 420 and a 280 of the 60mm and honestly I cant see how the 80's could be much better, with 2 670s and an overclocked 3770k the water in the loop never gets above 10c delta normally between 5 and 10 and thats with fans down to 500rpm

Back
Top Bottom