1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Muslims allowed student loans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lunar, Aug 20, 2018.

1. LuckyBenski

Mobster

To be fair, and my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, if she never has to pay her loan back she'll never pay interest. Is the policy against owing interest or just paying it?

When did OP say they were super into their faith?

Plenty of Muslims are more/less relaxed about their faith and culture than people assume, just like other religions. As an atheist I assumed all Christians were super devout and rigid but was surprised, as an adult, to find they're just normal people! Some smoke, some drink, some swear, some cheat on their partners.

2. RDM

Capodecina

School will have probably explained the student loan system but applying is down to the student.

Your daughter has a choice, either put aside her beliefs for the sake of her education, not go to university or find an Islamic loan that will cost more but uses the words "fee" instead of "interest" and so God doesn't mind.

3. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

I like how the OP's daughter is a 'devout' Muslim, while the OP is just a 'Muslim'.

When a religion is at the point of using semantics to side step the word of their god surely its time to take a step back and rethink your beliefs (I apply this to all religions).

4. lunar

Gangster

Apparently, interest is incurred on the loan at a monthly term from when you commence tge course.
    If you do a 4 year course and do not pay any of the student loan back in that time then the interest would have accumulated. I think compound interest applies.
    Don't forget, it's not just £9250 x 4, but also if you live away from home you can get an extra £4500 x4 for living expenses. That amounts to £55,000. I cannot recall the equation for compound interest, but I am sure it's not going to look pretty!
    If you study in London and not in the halls of residence and away from home, this amount is still not enough.

5. JoeF1

Mobster

Potentially not going to university because its against their faith to get a student loan with interest, in my eyes is 'pretty into their faith'. Wouldn't you agree?

6. LuckyBenski

Mobster

OP is not OP's daughter.

7. steve_c

Wise Guy

Sometimes I really do wonder which millennia we are living in.

8. JoeF1

Mobster

Stop splitting hairs. You know what i meant.

9. LuckyBenski

Mobster

I really don't, I took "if you're really into your religion" to be referring to Lunar. :)

10. danielanthony

Wise Guy

Why? GD is full of insightful religious threads.

11. GravyMonster

Capodecina

Well then you need to work on your context clues.

12. Maccy

Commissario

Insightful?!

13. Caracus2k

Soldato

14. peterwalkley

Mobster

Suspect he meant full of incitement :)

15. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

If God's ****** off by someone taking out a load, he/she/they/them/attack helicopter is going to be ******* ******* ************ furious with me.

16. Yas786

Caporegime

You wot m8?? A load of what of exactly?? :confused:

17. -UnderClocker-

Gangster

She should get the loan. If God is real, God will forgive her surely? I mean sure, she is as far a she knows, knowingly betraying her religion. But on the other hand, it's not like she is committing murder. If this is a serious concern then as someone else suggested, you should probably consult a local Imam. They'll know better then us.

18. lunar

Gangster

19. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

Loan. I was channelling my inner Harry "Loadsa Money" Enfield.

20. Caracus2k

Soldato

Glad to confirm that we have established that the Quran is internally inconsistent rather undermining its claims to be the last, final, perfect word of God.