Are netbooks powerful enough to run photoshop and vegas pro 9?

Associate
Hi guys, i'm going travelling in january, and would like to buy a netbook for my travels. As i'd imagine, i'll be taking loads of pics and videos, so are netbooks powerful enough to run photoshop and vegas well? and hd video plaback is a must too.

i'm waiting until the last minute to purchase, so mid december is when i'm looking to purchase, either the n510, nokia 3g or whatever is the best option, do you these or anything on the horizon will be good enough?

thanks

Soldato
my Nc10 can cope with CS3 and Lightroom no problem, though only for small use like 1/2 hour or so for small touch ups on photos anything more and i just leave it till am home so i can use my Imac

Associate
OP
i love lightroom, addicted to those vignettes :)

is there a small delay, from when you edit to it actually appearing on the screen?
i use a p4 at work, and cs3 is ok, not great and but usable, are the atom processors around the same performance?

i'm sure the ion platforms will help too

Soldato
My acer aspire one struggles with HD video, but I think there are netbooks with 720p screens and 720p acceleration around now.

For CS3, just make sure you have lots of RAM, at least 2gb, it will be fine then.

I use Logic Studio 9 on my Acer Aspire one, works well :cool:

Associate
OP
cool, but don't most of them ship with only 1gb, where would i go to install a second stick?

i'd do it myself, but wouldn't want to void the warranty, or is ir common practice to di it yourself?

Soldato
It'll probably be just the one stick, so you need the replace the stock 1Gb with a 2Gb one.

I believe on most netbooks the RAM is considered a user-servicable part and as such, changing it won't void the warranty

Permabanned
Current netbooks can handle Photoshop just fine. (not heavy rendering though)

720 playback is possible on a lot of netbooks now, I believe you need a player that does hardware decoding like MPC Home Cinema.

Permabanned
Changing ram is fine and quite easy really. Depends what netbook you are thinking of getting. Check out Youtube for some tutorials on how to change ram in different Netbooks.

Soldato
also there a nivida ion netbooks popping up now which should make it a lot easier to do photoshop and hd vids on a netbook

Back
Top Bottom