Are phones becoming a bore?

Man of Honour
500 is too low. Depending on the user, can be only 6 months, with average users around 2 years, and someone who touches the phone rarely, 3-4 years.
I agree, which is why I would happily have a 1mm thicker phone to be able to have changeable batteries. Unfortunately we live in a world where chucking away perfectly useable devices for the next shiny thing is the norm so no one fights for features like that.

Permabanned
It's very noticeable prices have increased to the point wherea flagship model now costs over a grand (when the equivalent used to retail at half that a couple of years ago) whilst delivering very little advantage over a similar model costing a quarter of the price.

Only the ones who pay the charged prices and change their phone every season are to be blamed. You know you can use the latest model every year with a not-very-large monthly charge?!

Soldato
I agree, which is why I would happily have a 1mm thicker phone to be able to have changeable batteries. Unfortunately we live in a world where chucking away perfectly useable devices for the next shiny thing is the norm so no one fights for features like that.

None of my phones with non-removable batteries get thrown away. They either get sold or handed down.

Soldato
I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 6A for £82.59 off eBay(it was actually less as this is was when eBay had the 15% off voucher), and it does everything needed a phone should do. Cameras are fine, touchscreen responsive, CPU is a 2GHz Cortex A53 which is good enough in a phone these days, 2GB ram and 16GB storage with micro SD slot which I seem to have had since forever. A 720p display and higher I can hardly tell the difference. And I look at the mother in law's latest top end Samsung and I see better but not enough to justify the price tag.

Soldato
OP
I don't get the issue with non removable batteries either never had an issue then again I haven't kept a phone longer than 18months for years

So unless the theory of over time they become weaker is true I wouldn't know

Caporegime
I don't get the issue with non removable batteries either never had an issue then again I haven't kept a phone longer than 18months for years

So unless the theory of over time they become weaker is true I wouldn't know

Even at 18 months you'd see some effect on battery capacity, although it won't be severe. It's not a theory that batteries become weaker over time, it's well documented.

Soldato
OP
Even at 18 months you'd see some effect on battery capacity, although it won't be severe. It's not a theory that batteries become weaker over time, it's well documented.
But isn't that only the case if you constantly drip charge it? So by that I mean let it get to 67% it goes down to 15% you charge it again but not to full and use again.

Permabanned
They've been boring for a while now, the hardware keeps improving but the quality of the apps/games is still garbage.

Other than a marginally better camera, display and battery the increased performance doesn't matter anymore.

Snapdragon 820 was released back in 2015, is there anything it can't handle on the play store today? Nope, nothing.

Soldato
They've been boring for a while now, the hardware keeps improving but the quality of the apps/games is still garbage.

Other than a marginally better camera, display and battery the increased performance doesn't matter anymore.

Snapdragon 820 was released back in 2015, is there anything it can't handle on the play store today? Nope, nothing.

It always amused me that people thought mobile gaming was going to be a thing like we were ever going to get PC calibre games on a smartphone.

Permabanned
It always amused me that people thought mobile gaming was going to be a thing like we were ever going to get PC calibre games on a smartphone.

It could have taken off but sadly the Freemium rubbish arrived at the same time and ruined everything.

They should be banned, the App Store and Play Store would instantly be 10x better as a result. :p

Soldato
But isn't that only the case if you constantly drip charge it? So by that I mean let it get to 67% it goes down to 15% you charge it again but not to full and use again.

That's almost exactly how you're supposed to treat them. Don't fast charger them, don't let them below 40% and don't charge them higher than 80% to get the best life from them.

Caporegime
It could have taken off but sadly the Freemium rubbish arrived at the same time and ruined everything.

They should be banned, the App Store and Play Store would instantly be 10x better as a result. :p

Yeah, given up with mobile gaming as its hard to tell what is pay-to-win

Soldato
I don't think the issue is purely down to freemium games, also that many types of games just don't work well on a phone. I can't be the only one who struggles to control a game using an on screen joystick on a phone can I?

Soldato
I don't think the issue is purely down to freemium games, also that many types of games just don't work well on a phone. I can't be the only one who struggles to control a game using an on screen joystick on a phone can I?

I just don’t play games on my phone because they are either too simplistic (candy crush etc), too fiddly to control without proper buttons/mouse or are pay to win.

Caporegime
Have to say no new phone has really interested me recently. I have an S7 that is still working fine and has a full cover case on it so is still absolutely pristine. I don't really see any phone that's a massive improvement over it so I think I'm going to keep it for a while longer.

Permabanned
I don't think the issue is purely down to freemium games, also that many types of games just don't work well on a phone. I can't be the only one who struggles to control a game using an on-screen joystick on a phone can I?

Most games work just fine, Gameloft was producing some great mobile games around the Galaxy S2/3 period, first-person shooters, racing games, 3rd person, if they could get away with coping something they would and most worked really well, and this was back in 2011-2012.

Freemium, pay to win as well as cosmetic add-ons have done a lot of damage to gaming as a whole, including to PC and Consoles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom