Are phones becoming a bore?

Soldato
I just don’t play games on my phone because they are either too simplistic (candy crush etc), too fiddly to control without proper buttons/mouse or are pay to win.

Well yeah that's the issue, a lot are just too fiddly, I think it's actually the simplistic games that work well on a phone.

Man of Honour
I don't get the issue with non removable batteries either never had an issue then again I haven't kept a phone longer than 18months for years

So unless the theory of over time they become weaker is true I wouldn't know
It's the only thing stopping me from keeping a phone for say 4-5 years.

It doesn't even need to be easily removable, I'm happy removing screws but I draw the line at having to peel off the screen and re-glue it in place after replacing the battery.

Associate
Are phones becoming a bore? Oh yes. About as exciting as a photocopier repair man, IT consultants, Lord Sebastion Coe,Theresa May, etc etc. no offense to people in those employments. What are they all? A black rectangle that allows a phone call? "whoopeee?" A crap game or two? "grreat?" the squinternet? - I'd rather use my laptop for that.
It makes me want fall about laughing like a darted animal, everytime I see or hear that some mug has spent 1K on a new phone - they all do the same thing!
The phone costs the company who made it less than a few pounds to construct it and the 'masses' are lapping up all the hype, they're all the same. :rolleyes:
Yawn.

Permabanned
Well yeah that's the issue, a lot are just too fiddly, I think it's actually the simplistic games that work well on a phone.

Seriously? you probably prefer the new Asphalt game even though it's not a racing game anyone, it's a running game with games, i.e swipe to change lane, go left/right rubbish.

Oversimplification of the controls ruins a lot of games and it's not necessary.

Caporegime
Are phones becoming a bore? Oh yes. About as exciting as a photocopier repair man, IT consultants, Lord Sebastion Coe,Theresa May, etc etc. no offense to people in those employments. What are they all? A black rectangle that allows a phone call? "whoopeee?" A crap game or two? "grreat?" the squinternet? - I'd rather use my laptop for that.
It makes me want fall about laughing like a darted animal, everytime I see or hear that some mug has spent 1K on a new phone - they all do the same thing!
The phone costs the company who made it less than a few pounds to construct it and the 'masses' are lapping up all the hype, they're all the same. :rolleyes:
Yawn.
I can assure you most phones cost 'more than a few pounds'!? Base cost price for a top end phone is often several hundred pounds, easily over £500 for a very top of the line IPhone X or Galaxy S9+

Soldato
Seriously? you probably prefer the new Asphalt game even though it's not a racing game anyone, it's a running game with games, i.e swipe to change lane, go left/right rubbish.

Oversimplification of the controls ruins a lot of games and it's not necessary.

But that's the mistake, trying to make existing games work on a mobile device, rather than designing good games that works on them.

Associate
Been a good thread this and some good points made all round.

Games are garbage. Honestly thought that there might be a few decent ones by now but most of them are from years ago. I've got an iPad 12.9 which theoretically would make a good gaming platform if there were any decent ones but no most are just blown up phone games which are generally poor. I'd rather pay a few quid upfront than this IAP garbage, and even the games you pay up front for have it.

Apps, well I can't see why I still can't do basic things on many of them but no I still have to fire up a computer to do a lot of things. Something like for instance adding a tracking number to an item on eBay. I might have missed the option but it just didn't seem to exist and ended up logging onto a pc. My memory fails me but there's been quite a few things I've still had to do this with recently.

New stuff is really underwhelming. I still really like my now 'ancient' 2xl and there's simply NOTHING to tempt me away either now or in the near or even distant future.

I see the next things for me is hopefully improvements in software and in AI. Still a lot of work to be done to make what we have easy, fully featured, intuitive and good looking.

I feel a little sad about it if I'm honest as I grew up with spectrums, c64s and now we have all this tech but it seems that we've had the technological revolution and it's all about tiny incremental updates. I need my fix damnit!!

Man of Honour
To be honest not much has changed for a while, I got a Note 4 in 2014 and I've not really seen much that has moved things on significantly from that, just marginal improvements. By far the most appealing thing for me would be a phone that matches current performance etc but had a much better battery life. My Nokia 8 does about 1.5 days (so can be charged overnight every second day) but if you really hammer it then it would run out of juice before the end of the second day. You've then got the general issue of battery life degrading over time, the main reason I replaced the Note 4 was because I had to swap out the battery after two years and then a year later it was on the blink again.

Caporegime
With most games being Freemium there really is no desire to upgrade.
I agree, all phones do the same thing. Even these bendable screens have no appeal. If there is no worth while content for phones only a fundamentally new design would excite me. But really, I don't see anything like that in the near future

Caporegime
The only game I find with a really slick on-screen controller interface is Honkai Impact 3rd.

I expected to be terrible at it, as past action-orientated games with on-screen controls were always a struggle for me to play, but this just works.

Game is fun too for quite a while, but freemium plus lack of engaging end-game has made me finally stop playing.

All about Langrisser now, which is the perfect type of game for a phone.

Soldato
Also, do you carry your laptop everywhere? (It makes me want fall about laughing like a darted animal, everytime I see or hear that some mug has to carry his laptop round everywhere) I would rather spend close to £1,000 and not have to... each to their own though.
yes horses for cousrses, but if you want to connect to your firms vpn, or do some office works then you need a xps13, microsoft tablet etc.
I'm not sure what kind of additional dexterity/productivity a more expensive phone provides ?

I think camera replacement capability peaked with the nokia pureview 808 , subsequently customers apparently wanted multiple front/rear lenses.
Equally with the demise of audio jacks sound quality may have peaked too ? phones are now jack of all trades master of none.

Soldato
yes horses for cousrses, but if you want to connect to your firms vpn, or do some office works then you need a xps13, microsoft tablet etc.
I'm not sure what kind of additional dexterity/productivity a more expensive phone provides ?

Desktop mode? Which could mean you literally leave your laptop at home?

I think camera replacement capability peaked with the nokia pureview 808 , subsequently customers apparently wanted multiple front/rear lenses.

I can't be sure as I didn't own/try the Pureview 808, but I think I would disagree. The Pixel 3 (with just one lens) is far superior to anything that has come before in it's capability. (Granted, step improvements over the original and Pixel 2)

Soldato
My note 9 is my first mobile phone that gives me just about everything I could ever want in a mobile phone

Waterproof
High capacity 4000mah battery
Great rear camera
Great OLED screen
Stereo Speakers
3.5mm jack
stylus pen
Wireless charging and fast cable charging
Good size internal storage plus an micro SD slot
Great operating system with Loads of apps
Ready nice case (Samsung LED case)
Plus all the things like WIFI, Bluetooth, NFC etc

I really can think of anything else I need my mobile phone to have :confused:

Soldato
Desktop mode? Which could mean you literally leave your laptop at home?
you mean via an external monitor ? but in mobile mode (train/car etc) a screen with real estate is needed for productivity,
like multiple 1440p + monitors at work.

I can't be sure as I didn't own/try the Pureview 808, but I think I would disagree. The Pixel 3 (with just one lens) is far superior to anything that has come before in it's capability. (Granted, step improvements over the original and Pixel 2)
yes,maybe it has been outstripped for anything other than daytime stuff.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Fro...as-got-drastically-better-with-time_id102894#
they/dxomark never seem to discussd the phones optics quality themselves ... glass/plastic/aberration ...

I really can think of anything else I need my mobile phone to have
you've got to accept the large form factor though... I'm not sure when yesterdays tablet became todays phone... imhop necessitating adapted clothing to my mind,
maybe folding/rollable can restore that balance.

Soldato
I'm a fan of the p20 Pro (and it is by no means the only phone that can do this) because its the first phone I've had in ages where I can go two full days without charging it. I've made it nearly three days on a full charge, but that's pushing it and not normal use.

So yeah, for me battery life is the big new feature, because everything else is just a small improvement from the last gen.

Man of Honour
No, not really.

Also, do you carry your laptop everywhere? (It makes me want fall about laughing like a darted animal, everytime I see or hear that some mug has to carry his laptop round everywhere) I would rather spend close to £1,000 and not have to... each to their own though.

Such a weird argument. There are many things even the massively overpriced phones can't do that a laptop can.

Soldato
you've got to accept the large form factor though... I'm not sure when yesterdays tablet became todays phone... imhop necessitating adapted clothing to my mind,
maybe folding/rollable can restore that balance.

I don't think there are any mainstream phones that are bigger than even small tablets used to be. Screens got a lot bigger, phone size itself, not all that much bigger. For example.

Back
Top Bottom