1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are phones becoming a bore?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Mark1989, Jan 20, 2019.

1. 413x

Capodecina

I don't think that's fair argument.

There is not much difference in mobiles once you get to 300gbp.
    If you don't game, you do not really get much benefit.
    There's only a few things the s10 can do vs my s7 that are even better than it. Certainly nothing new worth thinking about.

2. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

No, that's not a fair argument. How much was the S7 against how much will the S10 be able to do? You're comparing a flagship to a flagship. Mind you, even then there's probably a reasonable difference.

Generally, under £300 and over £300 there's a pretty huge difference. I would say the TV comparison is a good one.

3. Schizo

Don

A cheap phone does the same as as a exspensive phone,they all make calls and text,how you want the phone to look and operate is down to the user,never had a problem with cheap Chinese phones,before I dropped my last one and cracked the screen it was faultless and I got 5 days (heavy use) out of the battery with is pretty outstanding.

4. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

Exactly. Just like a Mini will do the same thing as a Bugatti.

Of course it only really works if we're generalising like that. If we're being literal, there are things certain expensive phones can do that cheap ones can't.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 7:18 AM
  5. jpaul

Soldato

I use a phone exclusively for calls/audio/camera and am intrigued what the browsing experience/satisfsaction/productivity is , versus a laptop ?
    although web-sites, especially social-media apps, maybe adapted for mobiles, being able to view/scan a large wall of text, multiple posts, on a large laptop screen would be difficult to sacrifice, plus keyboard/mouse to interact. ... I'm not sure what innovations a phone could/has offered to improve its experience.

Too that degree, the investment personally to make on laptops versus phones is probably 3-4 : 1

Interacting with OC forum, I contend you can identify folks using laptops as they seem to have been able to read/integrate multiple posts, ability to wordsmith a reply too.

6. 413x

Capodecina

You can still get these phones now for these prices even if they were expensive when first came out .

Can an s9 do anything an s7 can't? Granted there are improvements .

Cars are a bit different. You use the extra power (I do anyway), but I take. Your point some people buy a really fast car and never use it. Just like phones.

7. jpaul

Soldato

comparing s9 html rendering with s7 seems about twice as fast ... and, reason I looked, the s9 would match the 5 year old i7 laptop I typically browse web with.
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12006485 -> html5 statistics

edit: afterthought - if your 4g bandwidth is a bottleneck then that cpu grunt is a bit useless.

some interesting stats here https://www.stonetemple.com/mobile-vs-desktop-usage-study/
    >86% of adult site viewing on mobile phones ... after my comment on laptop vs mobile

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:29 PM
  8. 413x

Capodecina

Agreed it will be quicker for rendering etc. Amazing how efficient everything is becoming now.

The last one, I don't doubt it. Phone us usually more personal than a laptop/pc