Are phones becoming a bore?

Caporegime
But you could say the same for loads of things like cars ,TV's etc

Should we all own a £100 14" TV because it does the same thing as £1000 50"+

I don't think that's fair argument.

There is not much difference in mobiles once you get to 300gbp.
If you don't game, you do not really get much benefit.
There's only a few things the s10 can do vs my s7 that are even better than it. Certainly nothing new worth thinking about.

Soldato
There's only a few things the s10 can do vs my s7 that are even better than it. Certainly nothing new worth thinking about.

No, that's not a fair argument. How much was the S7 against how much will the S10 be able to do? You're comparing a flagship to a flagship. Mind you, even then there's probably a reasonable difference.

Generally, under £300 and over £300 there's a pretty huge difference. I would say the TV comparison is a good one.

Soldato
A cheap phone does the same as as a exspensive phone,they all make calls and text,how you want the phone to look and operate is down to the user,never had a problem with cheap Chinese phones,before I dropped my last one and cracked the screen it was faultless and I got 5 days (heavy use) out of the battery with is pretty outstanding.

Soldato
Exactly. Just like a Mini will do the same thing as a Bugatti.

Of course it only really works if we're generalising like that. If we're being literal, there are things certain expensive phones can do that cheap ones can't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use a phone exclusively for calls/audio/camera and am intrigued what the browsing experience/satisfsaction/productivity is , versus a laptop ?
although web-sites, especially social-media apps, maybe adapted for mobiles, being able to view/scan a large wall of text, multiple posts, on a large laptop screen would be difficult to sacrifice, plus keyboard/mouse to interact. ... I'm not sure what innovations a phone could/has offered to improve its experience.

Too that degree, the investment personally to make on laptops versus phones is probably 3-4 : 1

Interacting with OC forum, I contend you can identify folks using laptops as they seem to have been able to read/integrate multiple posts, ability to wordsmith a reply too.

Caporegime
No, that's not a fair argument. How much was the S7 against how much will the S10 be able to do? You're comparing a flagship to a flagship. Mind you, even then there's probably a reasonable difference.

Generally, under £300 and over £300 there's a pretty huge difference. I would say the TV comparison is a good one.

You can still get these phones now for these prices even if they were expensive when first came out .

Can an s9 do anything an s7 can't? Granted there are improvements .

Cars are a bit different. You use the extra power (I do anyway), but I take. Your point some people buy a really fast car and never use it. Just like phones.

Soldato
Can an s9 do anything an s7 can't? Granted there are improvements .
comparing s9 html rendering with s7 seems about twice as fast ... and, reason I looked, the s9 would match the 5 year old i7 laptop I typically browse web with.
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12006485 -> html5 statistics

edit: afterthought - if your 4g bandwidth is a bottleneck then that cpu grunt is a bit useless.

some interesting stats here https://www.stonetemple.com/mobile-vs-desktop-usage-study/
>86% of adult site viewing on mobile phones ... after my comment on laptop vs mobile

Last edited:
Caporegime
comparing s9 html rendering with s7 seems about twice as fast ... and, reason I looked, the s9 would match the 5 year old i7 laptop I typically browse web with.
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12006485 -> html5 statistics

some interesting stats here https://www.stonetemple.com/mobile-vs-desktop-usage-study/
>86% of adult site viewing on mobile phones ... after my comment on laptop vs mobile

Agreed it will be quicker for rendering etc. Amazing how efficient everything is becoming now.

The last one, I don't doubt it. Phone us usually more personal than a laptop/pc

Back
Top Bottom