Are Ring doorbells now illegal?

Soldato
No, they are not.

The main issue was not with his doorbell camera, but additional cameras around the house. You have to be careful where you point any camera, that's nothing new. If it's pointing at someone else's property you have to allow that person to access the recordings, which he did not do and became aggressive. He also said one camera was a dummy when it was not. It's not a simple case by any means.

Soldato
I don’t know what it is but I find these door bells a little creepy. It’s like people that put cctv inside their own houses - it’s weird. Like I said, I just find them creepy and have an aversion to using them when going to a house. I just use the blumin door bell or knock.

Soldato
WHat Maccapacca said.

The biggest issue was that the camera they had in the back garden apparently looks into Fairhursts garden to some degree and has captured audio from their garden

Soldato
I don’t know what it is but I find these door bells a little creepy. It’s like people that put cctv inside their own houses - it’s weird. Like I said, I just find them creepy and have an aversion to using them when going to a house. I just use the blumin door bell or knock.
If you are reaching for the knocker then you are using the Ring doorbell as well. You cannot avoid using them short of not going near the house.

Associate
OP

I have a Unifi camera system outside and at the indoor entry points.

Soldato
  • But a judge ruled he'd recorded Dr Fairhurst's property including her gate, garden and car parking spaces;

I believe this is a key part of the problem. In most cases peoples doorbells won't be facing peoples gardens etc.

Man of Honour
This is as good as it gets -

ring.jpg

Soldato
Or you have neighbours opposite that also happen to be in frame even though you are aiming the camera at your path and drive.

As a few others have said, the quality at a distance is pretty poor. I've got houses opposite me and although you can see a house, you wouldn't be able to make out faces across the road. Certainly wouldn't pick up audio across the road.

Back
Top Bottom