Are we seeing a decline in cinemas yet?

Soldato
I wonder if there is a psychological effect with that along the lines of: what we perceive as being cheap/free can more easily impress us?

So, by watching a movie that you "would never have paid for" i.e. wouldnt have lived up to the value of the ticket, but they "end up being really good" because you have lower exceptions due to the reduced entry cost.

I dunno, but it is interesting :)

Can see where you're coming from and on the flipside i've ended up seeing some absolute rubbish.

Best example I can give of a movie I wasn't bothered about that ended up being amazing is Sicario, it's my favourite movie of 2015 and in my top 10 movies of all time.

Soldato
Just remembered intermissions. No chance of that these days!

Don't know if they still do, but I remember seeing Ironman in Skegness. The intermission was still in play in 08.

Remember back in the 80's though at the Curzon in town, always with the ice cream as a kid from the women with the tray.

As for the op.. fortunately not:)

Soldato
being in 4K doesnt automatically mean that the film looks good though

I would say that most people are used to their smartphone/computer screen which would have a much higher DPI than the cinema screen - which is probably why i always notice the difference and think that the res is low

Its not just DPI its distance from the screen. A low DPI screen at a distance can look the same as a high DPI mobile screen close up. Unless you sit on the front rows DPI shouldn't be a problem at cinemas.

Soldato
I think I'm so old, i've never been able to get my head around English people (IE people I would be talking to) using the word 'Movie' Makes me think of Fred Flinstone every time, They were always going to the movies.

I haven't been for years apart from the odd kids mo... film. I can't remember the last grown up film I went to see. I think it's just a combination of no longer having a 27" low resolution square TV with a VHS player and the fact that the cinema were charging a few pence short of £10.

The Cinemas around here have recently dropped their prices to £5 but I'm so out of the habit of going, I just don't think of it

Soldato
I go to the cinema to see films i think will look best at the cinema, the ones that will never come across so well at home. Interstellar for example in Imax was amazing, something you cant duplicate at home.

I know much of my family go regularly, even my mother. I've been during the day on my own, I just think you need to pick the right films, take a drink and a bag of sweets if you really can't go a couple of hours without consuming food.

My local is Crawley, well actually its a 30 min drive but its a decent cinema and worth the drive.

Man of Honour
Put the prices up and ban food.

Why does watching a film automatically mean eating ?

Can't stand sitting near crisp munching, popcorn chomping idiots who act like they haven't ate for a week just because they're at the cinema for a couple of hours.

Soldato
I go to the cinema around 10 times a year on average ... most of those will be in a single week in March when the cinema I go to has the Japan Foundation traveling film festival (which allows me to watch some films I would not be able to see otherwise as they won't have a media release over here). Other than that I go to a few things which I think would look better on the big screen than at home. Normal cost is (from memory) £8.50 for an adult.

The cinema I go to isn't one of the big chains and as such tends to have a more non-chavvy clientele (especially as I tend do go at lunch time on a Sunday). In general it doesn't seem to suffer from the usual problems with noise and phones (probably due to an older demographic using it) although watching Rogue One a couple of weekends ago there was almost a punch up over the other side of the cinema as someone took exception to some kids (who were too young to be there) being noisy during the film and got into an argument with their father.

Back
Top Bottom