Are Windows 10 recovery drives re-usable?

Associate
I have 5 Windows 10 computers in my house and I haven't created a backup USB recovery drive for any of them. I was planning to do this soon in case I run into issues but I have a few questions:

1) Do I need to create a recovery drive from each of my computers or can I create just one drive which can be used on any computer?
2) How can I use my recovery drive to re-install from scratch (e.g. if I purchased a new HDD)?
3) How or where to I backup my Windows license along with the recovery drive? Do I even need to do that or does it get encoded in the recovery drive?

TIA

Associate
OP
I have 5 Windows 10 computers in my house and I haven't created a backup USB recovery drive for any of them. I was planning to do this soon in case I run into issues but I have a few questions:

1) Do I need to create a recovery drive from each of my computers or can I create just one drive which can be used on any computer?
2) How can I use my recovery drive to re-install from scratch (e.g. if I purchased a new HDD)?
3) How or where to I backup my Windows license along with the recovery drive? Do I even need to do that or does it get encoded in the recovery drive?

TIA
Anyone?

1) What software are you using? Windows' own tool? If so, normally you need 1 drive per computer, but maybe they've changed this with Windows 10.
2) As above, but if with Windows backup, boot from Win 10 usb recovery key and choose restore from image
3) License is normally tied to either your BIOS or your MS Account, not the install itself as such.

Back
Top Bottom