Are women paid less than men for the same work? No, is the answer.

Soldato
20170805_WOC360.png

MEDIA organisations aspire to cover news, not make it. But the BBC, Britain’s public broadcaster, has found itself in an uncomfortable spotlight since July 19th, when it published the names of its employees who earn at least £150,000 ($195,000) a year. The ensuing furore was less over the absolute level of pay than about the differences between men’s and women’s incomes. Some female presenters discovered that they made much less than male colleagues they regarded as peers. Just over half of the BBC’s staff are men, but among the 96 high earners listed, two-thirds are male.

In a petition, female presenters said this was evidence that women at the BBC are paid less than men “for the same work”. If that were true for the company as a whole, it would make the BBC an outlier. Although the average woman’s salary in Britain is 29% lower than the average man’s, the bulk of that gap results from differences in rank within companies, firms’ overall compensation rates and the nature of the tasks a job requires. According to data for 8.7m employees worldwide gathered by Korn Ferry, a consultancy, women in Britain make just 1% less than men who have the same function and level at the same employer. In most European countries, the discrepancy is similarly small. These numbers do not show that the labour market is free of sex discrimination. However, they do suggest that the main problem today is not unequal pay for equal work, but whatever it is that leads women to be in lower-ranking jobs at lower-paying organisations.

20170805_woc359.png

Moreover, even if the bulk of the BBC’s 9,000 female employees are not underpaid relative to their male colleagues, the list does suggest a problem among the broadcaster’s top brass. That pattern is fairly common. Pay gaps between men and women in the same roles at the same employers are narrow across Europe for 15 of the 16 job levels in Korn Ferry’s database—but the highest one is the exception. In Spain and Germany, top-ranking women make 15-20% less than similarly high-flying men.

A new law in Britain requires all medium-to-large employers to publish data on the pay gap between their male and female workers by April 2018. The reactions to the BBC’s list suggest they would be wise to break these data down for comparable jobs. That will show more precisely where the problem lies.

Read the full article [here.](http://www.economist.com/news/busin...ge-gap-between-men-and-women-varies-depending)

Soldato
"According to data for 8.7m employees worldwide gathered by Korn Ferry, a consultancy, women in Britain make just 1% less than men who have the same function and level at the same employer"

So that's a yes then.:p

Caporegime
Did you purposely miss off this bit:

except, crucially, in the highest one, in which men in some countries are indeed paid a lot more than women (see chart).

Why do men get so defensive about this anyway? I'd love it if my girlfriend earned more than me!

Caporegime
Last year my employer paid out the most bonus money to women on maternity leave. Figure that one out :/

why on earth would they give a bonus to someone on maternity leave - surely they just get their basic salary? Or a pro-rata bonus based on the parts of the year where they were contributing and hitting targets etc..

Soldato
Because where I work performance seems to have no influence on bonuses. It's so random no one knows what the hell is going on, so it's just how the dice landed I suppose :p

Caporegime
All the figures are published internally.

Context needed. I'm sure you said you work in IT before?

The only way I could make sense of that is:
If there were sales roles and bonuses were linked to profitability/targets and the majority of staff were women, and then they happened to on maternity leave when the bonuses were paid.

Soldato
Context needed. I'm sure you said you work in IT before?

The only way I could make sense of that is:
If there were sales roles and bonuses were linked to profitability/targets and the majority of staff were women, and then they happened to on maternity leave when the bonuses were paid.

I work in IT, but this was across all departments. Theres a few 10000 employees and women are the minority. When you drilled down the people who got the most were women currently on maternity leave. We did have a good laugh about it :D

Man of Honour
Erm the graphs on the bottom shows that for senior roles, women are paid less? And as women hold more senior roles their pay is not commensurate with men's? Unless I've misread it.

Soldato
Women should stay at home doing the house work and making sure dinner is on the table for when the man of the house comes in. Like the good old days.

Man of Honour
Something rarely discussed is the disparity of women working in unpleasant and dangerous jobs. Why do we see fewer women working in unpleasant roles such as bin persons, fixing roads, repairing sewers and dangerous jobs such as on the front line of the army, constructions jobs, etc? They were filling most of these roles during WW2 so are clearly capable of it. Is their lack of representation in them due to being shut out of the roles?

Back
Top Bottom