1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [email protected], 16 Oct 2021.

1. [email protected]

Capodecina

I dislike the term British and would rather be given the option to identify as English but most official forms don't allow this. Does anyone else feel the same?

English first, British second.

Anyone can claim to be British it seems now days!

2. Ahleckz

Capodecina

When abroad, and people ask, I say I’m from Scotland and people are certainly more welcoming and always have a negative thing to say about the English. I think the stereotype that they don’t travel well is certainly based in a bit of reality.
    When someone asks about my strange accent I say I was born in England, grew up overseas but have been in Scotland for most of my life.

Overall, I guess I’m British but don’t feel much pride for the British isles.

However according to @Orangeade , birth doesn’t matter. He’ll be shipping me off back to Odessa because that’s where my mothers parents parents were from…

3. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

4. ianh

Soldato

See I'm the other way, British first and it's only rarely that I'd use English, should anyone ever ask for that level of detail.

It's not a "pride" issue or anything like like, it's just there's no use of "United Kingdom-ish" as a shortening of where I'm from to describe my country (I'd usually just say I'm from the UK) so the next one down is "Great Brit-ish" so thats what I use.

Burrowing further down in the specific Countries just seemed a little odd to me as an Englishman :D

5. something daft already!!

Soldato

I certainly would not want to be termed as English as this has a link to xenophobia in my mind. I guess stuff like EDL has put me right off. I prefer British and I speak and write English, just about.

6. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

English.

7. Haggisman

Capodecina

I was born in Scotland to Dutch and English parents, therefore the only accurate description would be European.

However I now live in England, so either way, I'm a dirty second generation immigrant and should **** off back to wherever I came from and stop stealing hardworking English people's jobs and women, i'm probably one of them islamists as well. That's the English way to treat us scummy foreigns isn't it?

8. gpuerrilla

Capodecina

:cry: well put fella!

9. Hagar

Capodecina

Chip on the shoulder?
    From your description, I would say Scottish.

10. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Both. Depends on context, but mostly only English for sports.

11. Haggisman

Capodecina

Actually it's even worse, apparently my "English" dad has some Maltese heritage, so I better get in touch with Farage and get him to put me on a poster or something

12. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Ahleckz likes this post. /Facebook

13. Haggisman

Capodecina

Actually, us Europeans don't call them "chips" (unless you're talking about Lays?) :cry:

If you are talking about frites, then we prefer to eat them (with Mayonnaise :eek: the horror) rather than wearing them

Well you would, wouldn't you, bloody viking... :p

Depends if you are of the school of thought that your birthplace defines your nationality, or that of your parents? I've had this discussion many times with people, I do actually I agree, I would say Scottish (by birth) or European (by blood) are the only accurate descriptions

14. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

I know the answer already but humour me: why?

Again, I know the answer yadda yadda ...

You weren't supposed to give the answer away in your own OP! Look what you've done :(

15. Hades

Caporegime

British first. English second. European third.

16. Efour

Caporegime

Im ENGLISH because i was born in ENGLAND.

ENGLAND is part of the BRITISH ISLES or UNITED KINGDOM.

thats how i define it. :p

17. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I've lived in Wales for 6 years and by and large I've enjoyed it and the people are friendly but I am left in no doubt I am English. I try to explain that I'm a Mercian and it's my duty to launch arrows at them with my longbow but it falls on deaf ears.

18. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

I am a Cornishman, always have been, always will be. Like I keep telling my wife, you can take a Cornishman out of Cornwall but you can't take Cornwall out of a Cornishman.

19. jsmoke

Capodecina

Generally say British, and UK if online, but largely couldn't care, its largely a scam to keep us in check.

20. Lakeland

Soldato

Cumbrian and speak English. If someone From another country asked where I’m from I’d say England.

If someone from London says a person from Manchester or Birmingham is from the north I’d politely describe top middle and bottom to help them understand basic terminology. North of London not in the north.

</gone Fishing>