1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [email protected], 16 Oct 2021.

1. 200sols

Sgarrista

Didn't take long....

2. Orangeade

Gangster

Yes because you are comparable to a prob 1st/2nd terrorist.....

In Switzerland you so not gain citizenship merely via birth which i agree with, and strongly disagree with just granting anyone citizenship because their parent gave birth to them in a country...

3. Chris Wilson

Soldato

Or perhaps people who worry about nationality in the UK tend to be foreign...? :)

4. muon

Capodecina

You don't get citizenship in the UK just because you were born here. One of your parents have to be a British citizen or permanently settled here when you were born.

Why are people peddling this rubbish.

You can become a British citizen after you live in the UK for 10 years though. That applies to most people.

edit:

Just checked Switzerland, very similar rules.

5. Noxia

Sgarrista

I'm a right mongrel of nationalities. 1/2 Italian, 1/4 Latvian, 1/8 English and Scottish.
    I've probably messed those fractions up. Anyway, I currently just have a British passport, I was born in England. Don't care what I'm classed as, I don't have any shred of pride based on any of it but I do support Italy in football.

6. Chris Wilson

Soldato

God knows, if what they infer was the case the hundreds of African who just "happen" to be over in the UK when they are about to give a potentially difficult birth, would not only get free health care, (as most have a propensity to disappear afterwards) but also free British citizenship for their sprogs.

7. adam cool dude

Capodecina

My missus friend is Lithuanian with a Latvian boyfriend. Their child has a British Passport.

8. amigafan2003

Perma Banned

I do this too.

I was born just outside of London, but my family history traces back to Scotland and the Franks, so I've always identified as Scottish rather than English.

9. muon

Capodecina

So neither are settled in the UK?

I'll give you a clue, as a member of the EU they can settle in the UK very easily.

10. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Scottish. My surname is often assumed to be Irish but my Aunt traced the family name back to an ancient Pictish settlement that was just north of Perth.

11. Graetzbridge

Gangster

Mine was from the '45 rebellion.

12. Tephnos

Soldato

Scot

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

British by birth, English by the grace of the Gods.

14. Graetzbridge

Gangster

I'm glad I'm not worried.............

15. Brazo

Mobster

Labels! We spend more time in this country trying to get names and terms right (so as not to offend) than we do tackling the issues at hand!

Key example - big debate last week should Misogyny be a hate crime? Why not debate the label after you’ve tackled the crime/societal issues that give rise to said crimes.

16. rids57

Soldato

English father, Welsh mother, born in Cardiff - Identify as British when filling out forms but follow England for football and Wales for Rugby :D

17. The Running Man

Caporegime

Is nationality a state of mind?

I mean sure it helps to hold moral values akin to the nationality...

But I don't imagine myself as say Japanese and therefore have Japanese nationality.

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I feel I relate to more Japanese mindset…Passport says British (dual Nationality), DNA test will say SE Asian. Born in Hong Kong when it was a British Colony, not a Welsh Colony or English Colony etc.

It’s just a label, and if I’m applying for any forms at the airport I’ll put down British.

19. potatolord

Wise Guy

You can be whoever you want to be, just keep on believing.

:mad::o;):p:(:eek::confused:

That's an emoji rainbow for you.

#uokhun

20. Angilion

Man of Honour

I think it's one of the requirements. Not for legal nationality, but for actual nationality. Say, for example, an English person moved to Spain, became permanently resident in Spain and acquired Spanish nationality in a legal sense but lived in a de facto English enclave. Only spoke English, only ate imported English food and, most importantly, thought of themself as English. They're not really Spanish, even if they do legally have Spanish nationality.

I think nationality is about where you perceive your home to be. Not necessarily where you live but where you perceive your home to be. Here's an example within the UK:

Person A migrated from Jamaica to England in the 1950s/60s and has lived here ever since. They have UK citizenship. They perceive England as their home. They talk about it that way, it's their state of mind. They see themself as English. So do I.
    Person B migrated from Jamaica to England in the 1950s/60s and has lived here ever since. They have UK citizenship. They perceive Jamaica as their home. They talk about it that way, it's their state of mind. They see themself as Jamaican. So do I.