1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [email protected], 16 Oct 2021.

1. Chris Wilson

Soldato

Well put, sadly many fall into the category of Person B, and a lot of true British seem to, nowadays, wish they were of a different nationality, yet steadfastly remain here, moaning and castigating the UK and its history.

2. Raz

Mobster

What's wrong with that? Is saying something negative about your country a sin? Can't make improvements/changes if all you see is the positive. History shouldn't also be protected, especially when things were done that were wrong by people who were in the wrong.

3. flea.rider

Wise Guy

me English and proud ... but what do you expect from a northerner ... then again i can say i've lived in 6 country's from between 3 and 7 yrs .. and there all the same .. everyone trying to get a leg up pushing themselves to be rich .... have to say i stepped off that train a few yrs ago .. as long as i'm happy thats all it is ..

4. nitram100

Mobster

Born in Northern Ireland but Irish with Irish passport.

5. Hagar

Capodecina

Then again you need context, you cannot write Henry the eighth out of the script because he was a misogynistic old goat, getting rid of wives because they did not provide him with a male heir. He was probably syphilitic and low on sperm count but science was not very advanced. Blame god, the Pope, your wife, a few advisors. History is history.
    Then England became a non catholic country, unlike Spain and France and fierce competition lead to these three mainly colonising the known world as it was discovered, plenty of wars, thievery and pillaging.

It is how far back you wish to go with a rewrite but the History of England (and the World) starts being messy if you begin deleting people for misdeeds or political correctness.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021
  6. arknor

Caporegime

with a large enough DNA database you must be able to approximate where someone is from? how close do you think they can narrow it down? continent ? country? city?

there must be a bunch of traits people from specific areas share even if they aren't related?

7. [email protected]

Capodecina

BINGO!

This is the perfect answer!

8. fretted

Hitman

What century are we living in?

Does it really matter whether you consider yourself English, British or Manx? I hope that one day these nationalistic attitudes disappear and people are proud to be whoever they are without having to be defined by ridiculous historical geographical boundaries

9. FBi7

Wise Guy

Scottish here. (Bold 't' for the OP's benefit :p)

Since I've been mature enough, I've always said I'm British first. Born in Scotland, spent almost half my life living in England, have recently returned north of the border. The Mrs is English and our kids were born in England (with a little bit of Welsh in there too).

I don't think it's a bad thing to consider yourself, or be proud of yourself for being, Xxxx-ish before British, or vice versa, just as long as you're not an Engerlish chair-throwing football fan :D

But, none of the above (my post, or the previous posts in the thread) matters, as we are now forced to tolerate those who identify as ******* teapots, frying pans or Boeing 747s!

10. [email protected]

Capodecina

people who don't see themselves as British don't adhere to our values and go out of their way to subvert our way of life. ( not all but some)

11. ChroniC

Sgarrista

Almost all of those things. Aside from Irish, family ties from Scotland, Welsh parent and born in England.
    Consider myself English but from Britain.

12. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Come on, you're nearly there OP! The intent of this 'thread' was clear from the start. Don't blue balls me now! :mad:

13. Rilot

Don

I consider myself British as I was born in Britain. My wife considers herself Polish. My son considers himself either British or Polish depending on where he is and who he's talking to.
    My dog considers herself dog, because she's a dog.

14. Bluecube

Mobster

15. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Well.

16. SkodaMart

Mobster

I’m half Scottish half English

17. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

My ancestors fought in all of the Jacobite wars, where they on the same team?

18. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

Human, Earth.

I honestly want to write that - because I am, time humanity moved past the idea of countries, sure celebrate different cultures, but I wish we binned countries per say, worked together as one people.

Id still keep countries but just as identifier to where abouts on Earth, kind of like counties I guess, and good to exchange cultures, but we all need be one Earth now.

19. [email protected]

Capodecina

Personally, I prefer English but I understand why people like British.

20. Hades

Caporegime

My wife's family are Pakistani. They moved to Uganda before she was born. So she was actually born in Uganda and had a Ugandan passport before moving to the UK and becoming a British citizen around 1971. Interestingly, although she naturally considers herself British, she also considers herself Pakistani despite not being born there and never having visitied.

My children are British. But as they have a British/English father and a British/English/Pakistani mother then are they both English and Pakistani or are they neither English nor Pakistani?