1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by [email protected], 16 Oct 2021.

1. PlacidCasual

Soldato

The island of Ireland is the second largest of the British Isles.

2. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Isn't that was is on the cover of the Passport?

3. Hagar

Capodecina

Wrong, the British Isles refers to the main Islands of Britain, Ireland and associated smaller islands forming an archipelago above the Northwest coast of mainland Europe.

4. redbaron

Associate

Born in South Africa of English, Irish, German, Italian and French descent. Lived here over 60 years and was given citizenship on arrival in 1960. I've always called myself British.

5. doodah

Capodecina

Born in Nigeria (British mother/Nigerian father) and lived there for nearly 7 years, and then moved to a very different world - the Surrey countryside. Always considered myself British.

6. Basher

Sgarrista

Apologies yes, you’re right.

Great Britain, however does not include NI.

7. Hagar

Capodecina

Agreed :).

There are several descriptions that do like including it expressly as Great Britain and Northern Ireland or just the United Kingdom.

8. plasmahal

Mobster

I am British.

When I am in Scotland, I am still British.

When I am in Wales, I am still British.

When I am in Northern Ireland, I am still British.

When I am in England, I am still British.

I am British.

9. StriderX

Caporegime

Sounds awfully Russian to me.

10. Basher

Sgarrista

Would you say you are British?

11. englishpremier

Sgarrista

Most people from other countries will not know the difference between English and British.

I remember getting into an argument with a Finish girl in Portugal. She said Scotland isn't a country and she should know because she studied there. Funnily enough the Scottish girl working behind the bar stayed out of it.

I am curious if you asked someone born in Bratislava years ago, would they have said they were Czechoslovakian or would have said they are Slovakian. Same with someone born in Ljubljana. Asked before 1991 what nationality they were would they have said Slovenien or Yugoslavian?

One of my exes is from a baltic state that was USSR. She said people identified with their country rather than the union.

12. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

I'd consider myself Welsh first then British.
    If I can pick a flag for a game, for example, I would pick the Welsh over the British flag but are fine with the British one if that's the only option.

13. Jean-F

Mobster

I thought that this was total cobblers, and set about Googling to prove it,
    whereupon I was shot up the **** to read the following;

Great Britain is the collective name of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands.
    IT DOES NOT INCLUDE NORTHERN IRELAND and therefore should never be used interchangeably with ‘UK’- something you see all too often.
    I was mogadored, (allegedly Cockney rhyming slang for floored.)

14. plasmahal

Mobster

Not sure... :p:p:p

15. Jean-F

Mobster

Some 5 years ago, my son sent me a WhatsApp containing a clip of his son, my grandson, around 12 or 13 then, belting out at least two verses of La Marseillaise, (in French), at Twickenham during a rugby match between France and Italy and waving a French flag.
    When I queried it, my son said that a neighbour of his had migrated to France a couple of years back, but had returned for the match, with his son who was a schoolfriend of my grandson.
    The neighbour had taken both boys to Twickenham, where my grandson declared that had England been playing, he’d have cheered for England, but opted to throw his weight behind France as he knew that his grandpa was proud of his soupçon of French blood, while my sons weren’t bothered about their bit, and had stuck with England.

16. Angilion

Man of Honour

It is, which is why the term "British Isles" is now out of favour. "British Isles" is a geographical term that refers to a particular archipelago off the coast of mainland Europe. The whole of the island of Ireland is, obviously, part of that archipelago. An archipelago that nowadays is rarely named because "British Isles" is out of favour and it doesn't really have any other name. I've seen "Northwestern European archipelago" suggested, but that's a clumsy workaround for political reasons.

17. Rimsy

Mobster

51 % English 49% British

18. Alice In Wonderland

Gangster

I'm half Scottish and half Latin American.

I was born in Bogota in Colombia but grew up in Edinburgh.

So I'm extra feisty :)

19. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

It's the Saltire for me or failing that, the Lion Rampant. The Union flag has too many right wing undertones associated with it.

20. nine_tails

Wise Guy

:D