1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you going to vote in local elections on May 2nd?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Cromulent, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Cromulent

Mobster

Are you going to vote in the local elections on May the 2nd?

I've already voted by postal vote but curious how many others are planning on voting as the turn out for local elections is always quite low?

2. nkata

Soldato

Yes, the locals are often much closer. Having said that our incumbent MP took the seat by 45 votes last time.

3. Werewolf

Commissario

I'm voting, not 100% who I'm voting for but I know several candidates who I certainly won't be voting for.

I'm going to look into exactly who and what parties are running in my area but as it's normally a safe tory zone we normally only get candidates for the big two, libdem and the party of constant new leaders ukip.

4. Freakbro

Capodecina

I was going to but the election was cancelled in my area due to being uncontested

5. Rossi~

Capodecina

Yes, already voted.
    There's so many candidates, but the option was simple for me. A candidate that has helped me (and my neighbours) in the past and a second that I feel would benefit my town and it's environment especially given the impending developments.

6. krooton

Caporegime

I would, but having just moved I checked last year's results, Tories had the top 3 spots, and their combined votes were 80% of all votes. Can't say I am surprised, we went for an hour walk yesterday, and some of the mansions we saw were huge.

7. Mason-

Soldato

The options in my locals are: Tory, Labour, Green, Lib Dem.

They all seem ****.

8. FishFluff

Soldato

Yep, I'll be voting. Not sure who yet, need to do some more research.

9. JeditOjanen

Mobster

I won't be voting, but only because my ward isn't up for elections in this cycle.

@krooton Always vote, even if it seems pointless; you at least help your preferred party get towards recovering their deposit, which is money they can spend elsewhere later. And you never know, if enough people do the same there might be an upset - especially in local elections where councillors often get elected with less than 1000 votes.

10. ltron

Wise Guy

I don't live in England but I think these upcoming local elections and the European ones (which I will definitely be voting in) are extremely important given the gravity of the situation around Brexit and other issues like climate change. Disengagement from the process seems totally illogical to me as these things are going to affect us all profoundly, so I implore you all to vote.

Even if a party doesn't win, a large uptick in their vote share sends a message.

11. krooton

Caporegime

That's the thing, all 3 Tory candidates got over 2k votes a piece, the next closest was a Labour at 900, lol

12. Marky

Capodecina

Yes I will be voting - It's important - I will also be using it as an excuse to trip and fall into the pub on the way home :p

13. Housey

Man of Honour

Yup.

14. Double07

Wise Guy

Nah, I'm not going to vote, then complain at everything that happens as result, even though my opinions makes no sense at all.

15. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Yes, I’ve already voted. The Brexit debacle shows what happens what political cancer is out there if you don’t oppose it.

But why is this in Speaker’s Corner?

16. RDM

Capodecina

No, only Labour and the Conservatives are putting up candidates and I am not going to support either of those parties at the moment.

17. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

^ That.

I've never failed to vote in my life regardless of any apathy I feel at the time but this time there's no independants, none of the tertiary parties. Just the two that as they stand right now I could never support.

18. Scania

Capodecina

Probably not, if I did it will be anybody but the Conservatives or Labour (or the referendum ignoring Lib Dem’s) on a point of principle. (I voted remain btw)

Probably Brexit Party (if they are standing) not that I like Farage, more to send a kick up the arse to the “establishment”

But, it won’t be on my list of priorities for Thursday, most likely just won’t bother.

19. thenewoc

Mobster

Yeah will definitely vote as it doesn't feel right not to. Only have the option of Con, Lab & Libs this time and only 1 candidate that was part of the 2015 election. Last local election UKIP came second so we'll see where all those votes go this time.

20. Trifid

Sgarrista

Yes. Takes 10 minutes max, including the time to walk there.

Not sure who to vote for, there is a new independent who is putting a lot of effort in but I have no idea what he stands for or there is the Lib Dem who is a ex teacher that I remember from school who was subsequently struck off from teaching due to assaulting someone at a pub. I won't be voting labour, conservatives or UKIP (or is that Brexit party now?)