1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you going to vote in local elections on May 2nd?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Cromulent, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

To be fair there were trials, so people not paying attention locally could easily be caught out

2. V F

Capodecina

What's glorious about it? The entire political system is in a mess. Even the Liberal Democrats are rotten liars.

3. RoboCod

Capodecina

This is his narrow-minded view that is common amongst the left... So long as the cons suffer some loss/defeat, it doesn't matter that everything else around them is a shower of ****, so long as the tories get stuck.

4. RoboCod

Capodecina

I worked as a polling clerk for this election. There were a lot of vocal people about brexit and all MPs are liars, etc. Lots of protest voting as we can see. Lots of people just didn't turn up, we had 15% turn out at our station. That is completely the worst thing to do though I think.

5. StriderX

Capodecina

Or perhaps realising that the tories have ruined this country.

Blair was a Tory btw before you waste time on mentioning labour.

The closer we come to total stagnation for the establishment class, the better I feel about the situation, this is exactly what I want.

The left (seemingly the centre is now the left now) aren’t the ones making May, Failing Grayling, disgraced former defence minister Gavin Williamson, Hunt, Boris, McVey, Raab, Davis and disgraced former defence minister Liam Fox, continually disgracing this country.

They’ve ripped up their entire manifesto on politically charged nonsense that has cost the taxpayers billions. Yet I’m not supposed to hope for their downfall?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  6. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Democracy *raises glass*

7. RoboCod

Capodecina

Their downfall is your main agenda. That is illogical.

IIRC you're Green Party, which is a ludicrous stand point anyhow.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

Maybe, about as logical as anything else in this countries politics regardless.

I really don’t get why Abbott is allowed to speak, such an arrogant lady.

9. JeditOjanen

Mobster

There's been maybe a dozen photos of spoiled ballots posted on social media. Back in March Leave.EU started a campaign to get people to spoil their ballots because BXP couldn't get their candidates sorted in time, and LBC are pushing the narrative that it's working because Farage works for them. Meanwhile, UKIP have lost 75% of their councillors and the Tories have haemorrhaged hundreds of wards to the Remain-supporting Lib Dems. So you can understand why the frothies are so desperate to declare these results as a mass protest over the delay to Brexit.

10. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

They both wasted their time and their vote then, no one cares that they spoilt their vote.

On the other hand if everyone voted for anything but con/lab, change would come about very sharply.

11. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I had a postal vote so voted before May 2nd.

My area seems obsessed with voting lib dem. Both seats vote the same way all the time. Yet the council is run by labour, so we're ALWAYS at the back of the line for everything, as labour blame the lib dems for their time in government with the tories. Why the hell the town keeps voting lib dem i dont know.

12. platypus

Caporegime

The correct response to which is to turn up and vote of course, spoiling your ballot paper in the process.

If everybody actually bothered to vote, spoiling would send a pretty clear signal.

13. RDM

Capodecina

It doesn't really. It just gets counted alongside those that can’t put an X in a box. Spoilt ballots are recorded, the reasons for spoiling aren't.

14. Cern

Mobster

Well it sends a message of sorts, but it's not a clear enough one. I've always argued that there needs to be a box on the ballot paper for "no suitable candidate" that people can use to register their dissatisfaction with they choice they are offered.

This is especially pertinent when a lot of people found in their local elections yesterday that they had very restricted choices, even some constituencies which were actually uncontested because no-one stood against the Conservatives.

15. Nasher

Capodecina

Seems like no one really won anything :p

16. VincentHanna

Capodecina

The BBC would have you believe that the conservatives and labour both suffered similar losses

Tories lost 25% of their seats and labour about 3%

17. StriderX

Capodecina

Gotta keep those Tory grandees happy, or they’ll mystically unveil a litany of allegations against you.

Now that they basically control the BBC’s upper echelons, they simply will not have their ‘party of killing the poor’ be downtrodden upon.

18. Werewolf

Commissario

If you're going to spoil the ballot rather than just scribbling on it write something like "none of these idiots", make it obvious it's not just that you can't work out how to do an X.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

That doesn’t get recorded though.

20. Nasher

Capodecina

Labour didn't have as much to lose though.

My area isn't really a safe seat for anyone, so they seem to make some effort. Recently all the park areas maintained and trimmed, all the litter cleaned up etc. ALL the street lights have been replace with LED ones, roads repaired. Then leaflets through the door from both Labour and Tory bragging about all the work they have done :p