1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you going to vote in local elections on May 2nd?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Cromulent, Apr 30, 2019.

1. RDM

Capodecina

At this point in the electoral cycle, if Labour want to be in power, they need to winning seats not losing them. It is a disastrous night for the Conservatives but it is a pretty poor night for Labour too. They needed to be winning seats not losing them.

2. Tony Edwards

Mobster

If millions of people spoilt their ballot we might get some where. Personaly I would always vote against Conservative unless the only option was a UKIPY one.
    Im sure a dick pic will suffice.

3. Uther

Sgarrista

The local invisible Tory got in again here. He turns up once a year at election time then disappears again yet the ***** still vote for him.

4. Monkeynut

Soldato

Labour back again here as expected.

5. james.miller

Capodecina

6. 413x

Capodecina

I forgot to vote. Been a busy week planning relocation. Its always blue round here
    I would have voted green. 5 or 6 years ago I was blue. Never again after brexit

7. RoboCod

Capodecina

Out of interest, why green?

8. 413x

Capodecina

I have strong environmental views. My second choice would be lib dem.
    I think in a GE I'd vote for LD Especially if they have a chance getting in
    I also doubt the green party could genuinely run the country.

The best part about this local election is that it may give people hope LD isn't a wasted vote.

I always said I'd never vote Labour. But if JC said 'ref2 is on if we win' I'd sell my soul and vote for them. It's too important not to But I really don't like him, or Labour

9. MichaelAwkward

Mobster

Voted LD and they kicked the Conservatives out of Vale of White Horse quite thoroughly.

I don't think it's Brexit related, a lot of people are unhappy with the number of new housing developments being allowed to go through without any regard to the local environment, local traffic and roads, local facilities, etc.

10. james.miller

Capodecina

That certainly is the case here.

11. Scania

Capodecina

They’ve both had disastrous results in different ways.

The point is 9 years into a Tory government - and one that’s an absolute farce (at best) to be frank - Labour should and historically would be gaining hundreds of seats at local elections, which have always been used by voters to give the incumbent party a good kicking, instead they’ve lost 82....

The Conservative losses are not surprising tbh, I’m just surprised it wasn’t more, that Labour couldn’t make any gains should have them deeply deeply concerned.

A “government in waiting” should be cleaning up at the locals, I think Labour are getting a very clear message that Joe Public does not view them as such by a very long way.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

They did make gains though, it didn’t turn into hard results, even the tories made gains in places.

13. RoboCod

Capodecina

The tories expected a good kicking, Labour did not.

14. No1newts

Capodecina

I love the Tory (backed by the BBC) logic.

Tory get hammered (pro leave) Labour lose (pro leave) UKIP get hammered (pro hard leave) Lib Dems make huge gains.... What the public want is us to just get on with it and leave..... :confused:

15. Scania

Capodecina

Yes they made a few gains but overall - and that’s the crucial bit for both parties- they ended the night down by 82, that’s not the result of a party on course for Government.

1996 for example, a year before Blair’s landslide, Labour gained 468, the Lib Dem’s 136, the Tories lost 607.

The Euro elections should be fun! :D

16. D.P.

Caporegime

So the bet swing from Tories to Labour is larger now than in 1996. Certainly seems like Labour will be the next Government given FPTP.

17. V F

Capodecina

18. StriderX

Capodecina

Only idiots can’t see that, they’ve been ahead for the last two months the LibDems and BP primarily target Tory seats.

Whether I want a labour minority government or not is irrelevant, it’s what’s going to happen. Hopefully this simply means an end to the main parties absolute power, the only silver lining among this pile of detritus.

19. Scania

Capodecina

Swing counts for nothing when the swing is from a losing party toward another loser, it's the lib dems and independents that are cleaning up here,neither Labour nor the conservatives are heading in the right direction.

To form the next government neither look promising to me.

20. D.P.

Caporegime

And the greens and Lin Dems will never hit s majority with FPTP, Labour is on track to form a coalition government with the lib Dems though