1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you going to vote in local elections on May 2nd?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Cromulent, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

Agree 100%. In the context of these people being used as a scapegoat for Westminster incompetence while business ticks over as usual, it really does make me feel sick.

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

Facts, not opinions, matter. Most of what you see on social media is abject nonsense.

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

Blaming 'others' for the problems is a key feature of British politics, the only difference is how the parties define who the 'others' are.

4. Cromulent

Mobster

I agree that is a problem with British politics but how to do make an entire society more accepting of differences? It has been a feature of British history for as long as I care to remember (admittedly I haven't studied much history but I know the broad outline).

5. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

The BBC is responsible for promoting government agenda so the same applies to our national Broadcaster, you know the one we pay for.

Social media is free.

6. Dolph

Man of Honour

Legislate and enforce equal treatment under the law. Until we do that, including for property rights, the charade of manufactured conflict will continue.

7. Dolph

Man of Honour

Social media is the breeding ground of fake news and dishonest, subversive influence. It should never be treated as a reliable source for anything in isolation.

8. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

Divide and conquer. The story of British colonialism and the empire.

9. RedvGreen

Mobster

Working in internet-based cyber security has afforded me much insight into this newly-realised (not newly-emerged) threat. If you throw enough lies and manipulation at a person, you will get them on side eventually with a touch of target-based intel.

Facebook is riddled with fake accounts, despite tens of thousands being banned since Brexit and the US Presidential Elections, there are still swathes remaining that are harder to detect.

Initially (2-3yrs ago), red flags were:
    - New Account
    - Sub-20 friends
    - Only political/inflammatory comments
    - Terrible grammar, no dialect words, common typo typical with foreign individuals etc
    - Hundreds/Thousands of article likes/page likes within minutes
    - AI that learns and detects how people use FB and what anomalous activity looks like
    - Bi-lingual post-reshares from threat-countries (Russia, China, South Korea etc)
    - Stock photos, or photographs that had matching hashes to other users on Facebook from established accounts (many years old)
    - Standard known-bad IP Addresses

Nowadays, it is far harder to do this as the foreign actors have changed how they do things, but US, UK and Facebook cyber analysts are still ahead of the game, but due to the volume, it always takes a while between investigation, report, action to occur as they are very keen to avoid banning innocent users.

The consideration that everyone should bear in mind, instead of feeling emboldened and empowered during future elections/people's votes/referenda is this: Why does a foreign state pay millions and millions of equivalent pounds to get our nation to follow one path, as opposed to another?

Maybe i'm too stubborn, but if Russia, China or North Korea want me to vote one way, and fill my Facebook feed with lies (which I fact check everyone), I do the opposite.

10. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

That’s the trouble though, neither should the BBC. It’s as guilty as what you describe on social media, yet many go home every single evening, put the TV on and take everything they see and hear as gospel.

For the most part the general public are apathetic to the importance of developing a broad and informed opinion and want to be spoon fed by their favourite presenter.

Frightening stuff.

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

Given that what you describe would be a breach of the BBC charter, Citation needed...

12. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

I can’t argue with what you’ve said but there are other means to achieve the things you’ve suggested. It would seem daft to switch off from what can be a pivotal source of information, purely on the off chance someone is out to get you.

13. RedvGreen

Mobster

Not necessarily switch off, or be paranoid that someone is out to get you (as there are people out there who systematically deal with that, eventually) but be mindful that the damage has already been done. Many genuine people have been targetted and filled with rhetoric/hate/lies <insert anything else here> and they absolutely believe it. Their family and their friends get converted too as they are so empassioned by it that they wear people down. It is such an impressive method of destabilisation and one that people don't even know they've been manipulated by.

14. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

The BBC in Scotland must be very different to that south of the border. I started by mentioning QT as just recently the Motherwell broadcast took an ugly turn, in what turned out to be a staged opportunity for a failed UKIP candidate to make his third, possibly fourth appearance in the audience (with family) and be given an uninterrupted two full minutes to rant about the SNP. This is a guy seen posing outside Auschwitz with a pint.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...l-will-not-be-returning-to-bbc-question-time/

The BBC were caught red handed. They even cut Fiona Hyslops response to his rant from broadcast so she had absolutely no way to defend herself. Still though, they promoted his rant on social media.

By the BBC’s own admission it is incredibly difficult to be selected to appear on the QT audience. You’ve then got to wonder.. what are the chances of the same orange bigot being invited to make multiple appearances on the show?

15. SPG

Soldato

QT is rigged, i have stopped watching it since the Dianne abbot debacle here in Derby. (I cant stand her either)

We are at a point where social media is mega spin on an event and the mainstream media answer to it is just extremist one way or the other. A perfect state of apathy from the public is about critical mass which the same old powerbases to a tea as they will no longer be challenged.

I hope for more independent candidates in the future at a local level. Councils should not be under any party affiliations.

16. chroniclard

Capodecina

Sorry but claiming the BBC is as bad as Facebook for fake news is tosh.

17. SPG

Soldato

The BBC bless them is biased to whoever is in power and who the so called governors think is going to be in power at the next election. They appease who will give them the most money.

It is in the perfect position to be detached from goverment and report the FACTS it no longer does this it spins...spins for viewing figures and to make NEWS rather than report it. Its just as bad if not worse than social media, as everyone under 25 pretty much understands everything on social media is spin.

The BBC needs a rocket up it`s backside from a NEWS & POLITICS point of view.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

Not seeing it. :)

19. Freakbro

Capodecina

They don't really get money from the Govt, ~75% of their income is from the TV license, 20% from commercial interests and 5% in Govt grants*

Yes the Govt set the TV license cost, but it hardly changes that significantly to be accused of being a method to manipulate the BBC.

* of which virtually all of that is to pay for the BBC world service.

20. StriderX

Capodecina

The money isn’t the problem, the tories have control of their charter and the executive board.

Which is entirely why they’re so biased after about 2010, I can’t remember if they were similarly for Blair’s bunch, probably.