1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Are you going to vote in the European Elections?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by BowdonUK, May 6, 2019.

?

Who will you be voting for?

Poll closed May 23, 2019.
  1. Conservative

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. Labour

8 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Liberal Democrat

143 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. Brexit

58 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. UKIP

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. SNP

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Change UK

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. Green

20 vote(s)
    7.9%
  9. DUP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Plaid Cymru

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  11. Independent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other party

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Doesn't change the fact that they would have picked up a large potion of the votes with or without Brexit.

2. Cleisthenes

Soldato

Where does Farage get his figures from @ 4.05 into this video, saying if you add them up they have a majority? Even if you do include the Tory vote like he said :confused:

3. Cleisthenes

Soldato

I'm not sure you realise how daft you sound

4. Shocky-FM

Mobster

Here, all he did was add the Tory votes onto Pro-Brexit, Labour are not a remain party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48417228

5. Cleisthenes

Soldato

Please enlighten me as to which numbers you're using, as I get 44% from Brexit, Cons & UKIP

Including Labour gets to 58% which isn't the figure Farage used.

Also, just because Labour isn't a remain party doesn't mean they're a leave party!

6. Shocky-FM

Mobster

That's correct, which is more than 40.4% for the "Anti-Brexit" parties. That's what he was referring too. :confused:

7. chrcoluk

Mobster

on europe their stance is the same and this is a eu political discussion and election.

8. Murphy

Wise Guy

He doesn't get them from anywhere, he's been lying to people for decades so he's not going to change anytime soon, even if the results are displayed right next to his mug...playing to peoples victim mentality is what's got him where he is today so no reason to change now.
    His own party tweeted that a vote for Labour equaled a vote for remain only last week so while revisionism is par for the course with Farage pretending they said anything else would be dishonest.

9. chrcoluk

Mobster

I think its silly to use labour or tory in any remain/leave camps, as both those parties will have too many loyalists voting for them.

10. Slam62

Soldato

So do people not accept the result of a democratic vote, run to the rules and system that had been lawfully stipulated.?

Are we going to change the rules every time so we get the result we want.?

It seems to me similar to the approach taken by various dictators to claim a win.

I must say it is disturbing.

11. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Hilarious looking at all sides clambering for straws trying to spin there own angle.

12. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

I don’t think anyone has said that they don’t accept the result. People are debating the interpretation of the results, but no one is saying the vote was fraudulent and/or should be rerun.

What exactly are you getting at?

13. redeye

Gangster

Considering the amount of EU nationals turned away from voting, despite being registered and the complete farce around UK nationals living abroad who didn't receive their postal vote forms in time, actually I would say there is a case for a legal disupute on the result. It won't / can't happen, but you can't deny it was completely screwed up by the Govenment. They knew the timescale, yet didn't leave enough notice for it to be setup correctly. Utter farce. But it's what we've come to expect from UK politics.

14. MadMossy

Soldato

Based on the results, apparently if it had been a general election, we'd be looking at Farage as PM with a huge majority. Bigger than even Tony Blair had in the 90s.

15. chroniclard

Capodecina

Far from a GE though.

16. D.P.

Caporegime

But in a GE things would be very, very different. At a stretch we can view the results as a proxy referendum where 1/3rd of the people voted for a WTO Brexit and 2/3rds didn't, but that it self needs a little fudging.

IF this was a GE then obviously people would vote differently, and the FTTP would mean a lot of smaller parties don;t get any seats. There is a lot more strategy involved for the parties to convert votes to seats, which is why UKIP didn't win any seats in 2015 despite a chunk of voters because they lacked any kind of experience and strategy.

17. chroniclard

Capodecina

BXP may be different they have a lot of illicit funding. Though that might get scrutinized more if they become a proper party.

18. Flubble

Wise Guy

what a poor turnout 36.7% :(

19. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

You are right and it is a massive screw up but unless it can be shown that those missing votes would have fundamentally changed any of the seat allocations, I doubt anything will come of it.

For the purposes of us dissecting the results, I don’t think we would see any significant changes, so unfortunately we just have to add those people to the 63% who chose not to vote.

20. Roar87

Soldato

So basically this place is in no way representative of the country, quelle surprise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.