Are you the smartest person you know?

Caporegime
Hello dreadfuls!

I need your hot takes on the pressing matter of intelligence. Intelligence was invented by the Romans in 1782 in a small barn in what was then called Somerset, a city in the barren north of Englandshire. From there, the Victorians had a shot on it and the abacus and later the computer were made up to put brainthoughts into electricity forever. Today, intelligence is stored in our heads, like when hamsters stuff their fat cheeks with food but with cleverness instead of lettuce leaves.

Anyway, let's get into it. You are definitely sexy (and you know it), I bet you hang out with the cool crowd, you most certainly have 12 Gucci belts to choose from, and there are no corners and definitely no sofas in your house ... BUT ... are you the smartest person you know?

Hit me :mad:

Caporegime
Nope!

I shot a wedding last year where the groom has a first from Oxford (or Cambridge) with the highest 1st (passing mark) in the history of the college for engineering (the best man pointed this out in his speech), then he went and got a masters or PHD in Cambridge (or Oxford), basically he got his degree one and then did his post-grad in the other.

His twin brother is a neurosurgeon...

I’m not on that level! Not even close.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not by a long shot!

I have worked with some very intelligent people - one was a math genius who worked with the UK sneaky beaky people code breaking etc, however, had to have a minder/PA as despite the smarts they had zero common sense ie would wear pyjamas to tesco. Worked for the Commanding Officer of a Typhoon aircraft squadron whilst overseas. Not only was he the boss, a Typhoon pilot, RAF Officer etc, on the weekend he was studying for a PhD; very intelligent individual.

However, i have also worked for some people who had all the qualifications, but were completely useless as leaders/management.

Last edited:
Soldato
despite the smarts they had zero common sense ie would wear pyjamas to tesco.

And I'd thought all the people wearing pyjamas in my local tesco were lazy slobs! Never considered that they might just be maths geniuses.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the smartest person i know. There's so many stupid people around these days. Did you know that half of the entire world's population is now below average intelligence?!

Soldato
And I'd thought all the people wearing pyjamas in my local tesco were lazy slobs! Never considered that they might just be maths geniuses.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the smartest person i know. There's so many stupid people around these days. Did you know that half of the entire world's population is now below average intelligence?!

While it makes for a cute quip, and I know you're only being sarcastic in repeating it, that's not actually true. IQ is a bell curve not a mean. Most people fall between 90 and 110, hence (much more than) half of the world's population is of 'average' intelligence. That's what makes it average in this case. An IQ of around 100 is where you'd expect to find someone unless they had a learning disability or were of unusually above-average intelligence.

Caporegime
Very probably not, I think anyone who went to a decent university at undergrad or post grad will have met others who are just on another level whether that is famous (within their field) faculty members or that odd student who seems like rainman(or woman).

While it makes for a cute quip, and I know you're only being sarcastic in repeating it, that's not actually true. IQ is a bell curve not a mean. Most people fall between 90 and 110, hence (much more than) half of the world's population is of 'average' intelligence. That's what makes it average in this case. An IQ of around 100 is where you'd expect to find someone unless they had a learning disability or were of unusually above-average intelligence.

If it is centred around 100 then half of all people are indeed, in theory, below that median point.

Soldato
Randy Pausch said "If you're the smartest person in the room... You're in the wrong room".

I'm bloody smart, I know when I'm right (and when I'm wrong and should admit it). But I can sure as hell point to some people way smarter than me.

Soldato
In my immediate friend group, without a shadow of a doubt.. I have to explain what some words mean to most of them.

Wider range, no chance...

Man of Honour
Somerset is in the South west of England you peasant.

I live there, guess that makes me smart, sort of, ok perhaps not....................

Somerset (was born and grew up there) seems to be almost polar split between utter nutcases and people who I'd say were intelligent, generally above average capable of being open minded and learn from their experiences, etc. but not particularly renown for being smart or intellectual.

On the wider topic it is an odd one - there are people I associate with who I'd say were smarter than me, more intellectual than me especially in certain fields but I don't know many people IRL I would consider as capable as I am of operating at an average or above average level in as wide range of fields as I am able to.

In my immediate friend group, without a shadow of a doubt.. I have to explain what some words mean to most of them.

Wider range, no chance...

Funny thing is my English lang/lit education is severely lacking and I make a lot of mistakes - but I frequently have to bite my tongue when so many people (at work, etc.) mix up their and there or use lower case i, etc. LOL I mean I have no formal education in the use of things like verbs, grammar, the anatomy of sentence construction and syntax, etc. thanks to the Tories messing about with the curriculum when I was starting junior school and at my school my year missed 2 years of the fundamentals because they kept changing around which year it was introduced in (and at secondary school they basically said it wasn't their job to make up for it and we'd best catch up as we could).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom